Tripod leg protection

With the warmer weather coming to the mountains of Western North Carolina, it will soon be time to go wading in streams. Last year, as a result of stream wading, I ruined a perfectly good, Giottos tripod, due to sand and grit on the legs. I have not seen a comercial product for this problem. I was thinking of simply having a roll of duct tape with me in the field, and cleaning off the adhesive with acetone, followed with a light application of sewing machine oil. Does anyone know of a commercial product, or a do it yourself solution?

Thank you
Tom

Benbo tripods make a model with reversed legs, big section on the bottom.

My Gitzo Reporter Carbon fiber model is pretty sturdy. CF is essentially water proof material. They make model sail boat masts from it. Grease the joints with waterproof grease, silicone paste from plumbing supply should work.

In the end you will still need to clean off the grit before you collapse the leg sections or you drag the crud into the joints. Leave it extended until you get to a place where you can clean it properly. This will involve taking the joints apart, cleaning and relub. Remember none of this is designed to be submerged in water.

MMM makes a waterproof tape that is extremely good if applied to a dry surface. It comes 1"+ wide so you can wrap the joints like you do with bicycle handlebar tape. It should do for a while. I use it to cover damaged areas on a car in the winter until it can be properly repaired. On one car, it has held up for years. Buy the clear.

Do some checking and I wish I knew where I had seen this. I will check my favorite links at home.

I had seen a product that really was nothing more then a clear heavy bag material that was made to slide over the legs to protect them. There was one for each leg and when done for the day you can leave them on or if you take them off your legs are clean and dry. I'll see what I can find for you.

Top Bottom