Tripod reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by strobel, Nov 23, 2005.

1. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Sorry about this same-ol topic but I need help.
    I am planning to go to Denmark in early spring to see my wife's family and shoot some photos at her brothers wedding. What i am looking for a is a good quality, light, easily transported tripod. I have several heads and just ordered the Markins m20l. I do have some tripods but they are very heavy and would not be ideal for taking on a long trip by plane. Ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ron,

If it is any help, I use a Bogen 3021BPRO. For me and what all I need it for it works great and is relatively light, strong, and inexpensive.

God Bless,
    David

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ron,

If you are looking at strong and light, I'd definitely check into the 1200 series from Gitzo. Not the cheapest, but definitely good. The 1227 weighs 3lbs / 4ozs, and supports up to 17.6lbs. It has a collapsed length of 25.6 inches, and extends to 54.7 inches. Not cheap though at about $435. The 1228 is the 4-section version. It weighs the same as the 1227 and supports up to 13.2lbs. It goes up to 52 inches, and collapses to 21.3 inches. It is more expensive than the 1227, coming in at about $480.

Another option is the CF line from China by Feisol. Several Cafe members have these and have been moderately pleased. They are generally useful for light to moderate loads, and can run 50% less than comparable units from Gitzo.

Hope this helps.

4. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Thanks David and Frank, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I will now have some fun researching these choices on the net. I will have to look at the CF line, just a little leery; normally you get what you pay for. I would hate to put all that expensive camera equipment on something I am not 100% comfortable with.

So anyone using the CF line please let me know what you think.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    A whole ton of us are using the Gitzo CF tri- and monopods, and quite a few are using Feisol CF units. I mount my D2H + 300 2.8 on mine and toss it over my shoulder with no concerns whatsoever. A number of others here do the same.

I wouldn't hesitate to look at CF units. They really are the state of the art.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Manfrotto/Bogen and suchlike are good enough for light equipment, but don't count on these tripods to stand up to heavy usage. They are not designed with that end in mind.

I purchased a Manfrotto many years ago which lasted less than 3 months. Switched to Gitzo which (kind of) held together for 11 months. I then did some market research and ended up with tripods from the Sachtler range, the oldest unit of which now has been taking beating for 25 years. That these tripods are lightweights (1-2.5 kg) doesn't bother me at all on field hikes :smile:

When you factor longevity into the equation, "cheap" may become more expensive than "expensive" in the long run.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. RForshey

RForshey Guest

For what it's worth, I'm a pro landscape photographer. I use the Gitzo 1348 CF with a RRS BH-55LR for the majority of my "stuff" and the 1548 with a Wimberley head for my "BIG" glass. My tripods have been in every kind of condition you can imagine, from freezing temperatures in Alaska, to summer shoots in the southwest. They've been in sand, snow, water, mud and stuff we won't say in mixed company! All I ever do is hose them down and wipe 'em off at the end of a shoot, and I've never had a problem. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend them..

10. I've got a Hakuba CF tripod that I'm happy with. Lightweight and sturdy if you don't go extending the center section much.
    Model 503MX, IIRC it cost me ~$270

One other idea instead of spending a bunch of $ for a single or limited use 'pod just put up with the extra couple of pounds and schlep along what you have?
    I just stick mine into my checked bag, which has wheels, so it isn't much of a factor other than the space.

Don

11. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    For anyone unsure of the tripod to buy I usually recommend this article from Thom Hogan. http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Personally, I bought a "cheap" Bogen, two clamps broke fairly quickly. Switched to a Gitzo G320 (like todays G1320 without the hook) prefering to twist not clamp the legs. I'm now a Gitzo G1325 user prefering the CF over metal and I'm very pleased.

12. I use the Gitzo 1348 and the Gitzo 1228. Bought the 1228 for situations where carry weight mattered. I have been delighted with the quality of both.
    I am considering selling the 1228 and Kirk BH-3 Head and replacing it with the 1548 as I find I like the heavier tripods better.

13. I received a catalog this week from the distributor of Gitzo in Canada and in there they mention new carbon fiber (carbon 6X) legs that are smaller, lighter and stronger; are those replacing the legs of all the carbon fiber tripod?

14. I have a Gitzo 2220. Prefer the twist to the clamps, plus I like the center column better than the 3021Pro (easier to set up). Played around with the CF version at the store and it's nice, though I didn't see weight was as much of an issue on something as bulky as a tripod.