Tripod set-up

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Philippe Roger, Sep 18, 2005.

1. After considering this (expensive! :eek: ) purchase for quite a while, I finally bit the bullet and got myself the last tripod I think I'll ever need: it's also the first one I am getting that is capable of holding more than a compact digicam.

The legs are Gitzo 1325, you can see the levelling head (G1321) as discussed in this thread. The ball head is a Markins M20L, relatively small and light (1.25 lb) but quite strong, as it can handle 100lbs! I haven't received the camera plates yet, so all I can do so far is take a pic of the rig and share that: it's a pleasure to see the craftmanship in this equipment, though. :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

By the way, does anyone know the purpose of the lever on the G1321, as seen on the left here? The levelling takes place by loosening the short column, adjusting the levelling head in its bowl, and tightening again. I am not sure about that lever... :confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. That lever is the final fine tightening method.

I think the idea is you get it close with the column, just enough that you can still move it, the move the lever to the right to finish tightening. This makes adjusting it easier. You need to figure out which side is loose for that lever. Probably to the left.

I don't have that head myself. I went for the 1348 instead as I sometimes like a really tall tripod. And I don't mind the larger size and weight.

3. Er wait a second. That will fit on the 1348? :)

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Very impressive, Philippe! I'm looking forward to seeing use use it. Will that be the head you use for birding?

6. Looks like a nice setup Phillipe. I too would like to update my tripod since I am carrying around a large (read heavy) old Bogen. I have been looking at the Gitzo 1325.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have the Gitzo 1325 and M20 combo. It's a very solid setup.

8. It should, Ed. The 1348 is part of the 3 series of Gitzo's "systematic tripods." :smile:

Thanks for the tip on the lever.

9. I suppose one could add a Sidekick to this setup or use a full gimbal head instead (for a bigger lens), but given the small amount of birding I do, this should be just fine. :wink: :smile: You can loosen the ball competely, you can let it sit still with friction and/or use the panning knob to follow horizontal movement, or tighten the whole thing.

10. Thanks Gordon. Do you have to choose between the 1325 (and ball) and the 85 f/1.4? :wink: That would be a tough choice, no? I guess it never ends. :rolleyes:

11. I sure hope so, John! I haven't yet been able to load a camera on it, but that thing is sweet to look at, I tell you (and the rest of the Cafe, LOL). :wink:

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. I'm no expert on that head. I just used one briefly in a camera shop and it seemed to me that the horizontal lever was a "quick release" for the ball and socket joint.

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

16. We have a few good shops in this area (San Francisco bay) and I appreciate them. But I rarely buy anything from them. I just don't tolerate the saleperson thing very well. I'll even pay a bit more, but not 50% more.

17. Philippe,

Great setup. I'm actually considering the following:

- Gitzo 1325
    - SideKick
    - bh-55 or m20

What do you need that leveling head for ?