Tripod setup for 500 F4 AF-S ?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Sandro Bravo, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I'll be geting the 500 next week and it will be uses mostly for surf shooting (with and without TC's). I already have a monopod (Manfrotto 681B) and i'm considering the MANFROTTO 161MK2B tripod.

Since we don't have Wimberley, Kirk, or any of those brands where i live, i'd like to hear some feedback on Manfrotto tripod heads / tripods to use on this kind of lense.

Thanks in advance.
    --

2. mmm nice lens. Weighs in at about 3kg so you'll need quite a beefy head.

I mistakenly bought the 460MG 3 way head for my tripod - it was fine for my CP8700, but having moved up to a D70 + 70/200 its not strong enough. Also, I found all those knobs a real pain to adjust. So I will be upgrading to a ball head at some point - something like the 488RC2 or the 468MGRC2 if I can afford it.

Hope this helps.

3. marc

marc Guest

no head, mount directly to monopod/with collar provided

what is surf shooting?

4. when I got my 500 I spent a lot of time figuring this out. Fortunately Thom Hogan already has figured this out and written an article about it: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

In my humbling experience, you would be very well advised to take his advise. You could always get a Wimberley over mail order. I would suggest the sidekick mounted on a ballhead for a great combo.

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I use

A Gitzo 1325 with a Markins #20 head and a Wimberly Sidekick. Numerous friends have now switched to the new RRS ball head and they like it because of the low profile. For a couple hundred bucks less however, the Markins is built exceedingly well and performs flawlessly.

I tried shooting the 500 on a monopod and for me at least, there was no way it was steady enough.

If you're shooting a D2X or the soon to come D200, I wouldn't even attempt to use a monopod at 500mm......the higher resolution cameras show shake bad enough as it is.

6. In my opinion, I would consider anything less than a tripod in the realm of a Gitzo 1325 for stability. A also shoot a 500mm and you won't believe the affect your tripod is going to have on shake.

7. Bogen 3421 Gimbal Type head with a Gitzo 1325 ;)

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Another vote for the Gitzo 1325 and Markins M20 combo. Rock solid :biggrin:

9. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I've made my decison....Manfrotto 457B tripod and 393 head.... :smile:

The 500 F4 is due to arrive in the next 3 days... :biggrin:

Thanks for all your advice.

To answer your question...this is surf shooting... :wink: ( check some more at my Pbase account http://www.pbase.com/slbravo )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sandro...Those waves are huge. That third one is scary. WOW... Where were these taken at?

I really like them a lot. Nice job too.

11. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi Melissa,

All the bigger waves were shot in a beach called Supertubos ("Superbarrels") in Peniche, Portugal. :smile: