Tripod

I know I've posted tripod threads before, but I keep putting off buying one. It's just so much easier to but a lot of $$$ down on a good lens instead of a good tripod...

I think I'm finally ready to buy one. I'm going to get a RRS BH40 head and I was thinking of these legs.

What do you guys think?

I paired a 2531 with an Accratech GP around Christmass. B&H had them for $509 before an $80 Gitzo rebate. I know nothing about RRS heads but they have a good++ reputation. Your 105VR will be the head test. It will bring out the worst of anything in your gear prone to flex! GH

I have the BH 55 and it is the best head i have ever used, i am sure the 40 will be great. i have a set of Gitzo aluminum legs(1505, very very sturdy! Twist locks can be a pain sometimes but i am very happy with it.

Make sure the 4 leg version is as sturdy as you need, try to compare to 3 leg model, sometimes that 4th section is not very useful, sometimes! I am not familiar with these legs.

I bought the GT2541ex because I wanted the flexibility for macro. While I like the simplicity of the 3 leg tripods, the 4 are usually shorter, taller and I find it's easier to get intermediate heights. I got the Arca Swiss Z1 which I'm very happy with, although a geared head (I want the Arca Swiss D4 when it's available) is better for macro.

If you plan to use a focusing rail, I'd avoid the RRS with the quick release lever. The Novoflex rail won't work, the Kirk macro rail will, but their extension rail won't, besides I find it easier to reposition a rail in a clamp with the knob release.

I have the RRS BH40 mounted on a Gitzo CF Explorer. The largest thing I've put on top is a 70-200 vr 2.8 & a D300. Very solid & high quality.

a few things to consider: what do you place more emphasis on, ease/speed of setup, or more flexibility?? if you want ease/speed of setup, get a tripod whose height (fully extended without raising the center column) will be suitable for your height, which usually means about 6-8 inches shorter than you. this will compensate for the ballhead and camera, putting you level with the viewfinder so no hunching over to see. setting up is sooo easy when your tripod is the right height, so you dont have to fiddle with the leg locks, just fully extend and GO!

if you want flexibility, then 4-section tripods can get some wickedly tall heights, plus they do fold more compactly. however, when i was searching for the tall 4-section gitzos, none of them were suitable for my height when i wanted a super-quick setup. in the end, i chose ease of use and quick setup.

another thing to think about is whether you will do lots of low-level/ground shooting. if so, then think about the systematic models, since they have no center columns (you can add one later on). you can get as low as you want, and no center column also means better stability and vibration dampening.

with that said, it really is hard getting one tripod to satisfy ALL of your shooting needs. thats why i have TWO!?! (gt1541t + markins q3t and gt3530s + markins q20):tongue:

good luck!

Like was mentioned above, I'm planning on getting the three stage as it should be more stable than a four stage. I really wanted one of the RRS tripods, but those are just out of my budget.

Latest threads

Top Bottom