Trish up close @1.4

Discussion in 'People' started by Nuteshack, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

as i do with all new lens purchases i shot this in raw + jpeg so i could get a better look at the file. i did the pp on this one from the smaller jpeg, originally about 850k in size. this lens is so sharp and the DOF is so so thin, it's really guna take some getting used to.......:biggrin:

yes, i missed it on her right eye justa tad:tongue:
    875286246_58a9f0e587_o.

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The angle shots are always going to be tricky with the 1.4 because of the DOF. I would shoot this again, but have her turn her face toward you and not at an angle. Make sure you have her focused right between the nose, or right above her forehead.

Beautiful girl.

3. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Seneca, ..this was justa grab shot, more of a lens test really. i generally nail these angled shots with 50 1.4 but in this case i was just a tad too close. if i had aimed just to the right side of her nose a little more i bet it would have come in just fine .....it's guna take some practice ....;-)))

4. This is a truly maddening lens. I give up on it from time to time due to my lack of keepers. Then it calls to me and I try again. When you nail it, this lens has no equal in my arsenal.

This is a pretty good effort with this lens. Angled faces will never yield both eyes sharp wide open.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Mitch ....with a little practice i'd be willing to bet my right nute i can ..lol
    ;-))

6. Shooting an angled shot at f1.4 makes it really difficult to get both eyes in focus. Nevertheless it is a beautiful shot of your lovely daughter.

7. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    My thoughts verbatim.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Gordon ...that's my daughter's pal:biggrin:

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

well, i'm getting closer:biggrin:
    ..grab shot at the local clinic, the "new" gal:smile:
    880533448_cb83153c60_o.

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    WOW! :eek:

Must stop browsing. The 1.8 is "just fine". It really is. Start with the 1.8 first. Yeah. :rolleyes:

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Steve, the 1.8 is fine ...but the 1.4 is just, well ----> FREAKY
    :710:

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    At times I think it has to much micro contrast for skin. Now if you had a big bright VF like the D2x has you could see better where the focus is. :Devil:

13. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    okay.. so now I am wanting a 85 1.4 even more :(

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

amen, i'm already finding myself playing with my in cam settings for this lens. i find it's charactoristics entirely different from all my other glass.
    ..the d50 does present u with some challenges, but i do like the simplicity of it and the files. a bigger VF and smaller focus points would definetly help ....(wish Nikon would let me have a hand at writing the recipe for the d90)

;-))

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

just do it ..i waited way too long ...:biggrin:

16. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Don't you just love this lens? :biggrin:

Though the rt eye is slightly OOF I still like #1; the bokeh is wonderful! :Love: Stop it down a bit and it will be tack sharp...and the rt eye will also be in focus. :wink:

17. stefan_elf

stefan_elf

Jul 18, 2007
    N/A
    Well I find myself drawn towards really bright glass at the moment - the shots I've seen shot at f/1.4 are simply in a different class altogether compared even to f/2... but then I saw a MF 50 f/1.2 for sale used at £295... boy it must be difficult to focus that one! But that's another half stop brighter again - where does it end??? GAAAHHH! Lens lust and the beauty of theory.
    You've got some really nice portraits here, nuteshack.

18. Welcome to the "for heaven's sake don't turn your head!" crowd. I have found that for consistent "two-eye-focus" with my kids I need to be at f2. F1.4 only works for straight-on head shots, and for situations where you only want one eye in focus.

19. My only gripe with the D50...

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

love everything about it, Banhup..thanks:biggrin: