1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Trivia answer for Of Mice And Men

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sjlarue, Jul 31, 2009.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Just some light trivia for a Friday night.

Yes it's about the Bugs Bunny cartoon....

I remember the book and the movie Of Mice and Men...I had to suffer through it like all American high schoolers.:biggrin:

I got in a tiff with my wife about in the cartoon where the snow man says "I'm gonna hug him and squeeze him and call him George..."

I know that is attributed to the book Of Mice and Men, but I don't remember reading it. I think that it was a interpretation of Lennie, not an actual quote.

My wife (and daughter) seem to think that it is a quote.

Is there anyone out there that can help settle it. I can't find an answer either way on line.

Thanks

2. Miller821

Miller821

Mar 17, 2009
    Scott AFB, IL
    Sounds like it could be a quote from when Lennie had the mouse or puppy... Been a few years since i've read it though, so I can't be sure.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

4. Extra points for anyone who can tell me where the title "Of Mice and Men" comes from. :) 

Ronnie

5. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    "Of all the words
    Of mice and men
    The saddest are these:
    'It Might Have Been'."

Kurt Vonnegut Jr, in a variation of Whittier

Thanks for the help!

The Wife

6. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    Steinbeck originally titled it Something That Happened, however he changed the title after reading Robert Burns' poem, To a Mouse. That poem tells of the regret the narrator feels for having destroyed the home of a mouse while plowing his field. In essence, it suggests that no plan is fool-proof and no one can be completely prepared for the future.
    The line from the poem: "To a Mouse" is often translated into English as: "The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry (or astray)." However, the original Burns Scottish is: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley."

found here:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_Steinbeck_choose_the_title_'Of_Mice_and_Men'

7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    YAY! Points for me, the photographer that pulled straight D's in English!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

and groans from my wife that...well I better stop there...if I know what's good for me... :eek: :biggrin:

8. Spot on ! :) 

Ronnie

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Isn't the internet wonderful! It knows everything!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.