Trojan birthday cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xrdbear, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Just a heads up. It's my birthday today, thank you NikonCafe for the e-mail :smile::smile::smile:

I also got another unwelcome e-mail which purported to be a Hallmark eCard.

I checked the 'click here' and the link is a bare IP address in central China and would have run postcard.exe which I believe installs a IRC client which logs on to a chat room and allows people there to control your computer.

Nice birthday present. I wonder if they have been trawling forums for birth dates or got them from another source.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Happy Birthday from a safe place:>)))))

3. Thank you Gale. You get up early on a Sunday don't you :smile:

4. Happy Birthday, Brain! Enjoy!

5. Happy Birthday Brian. Good thing you did not "run" the attachment!

6. I have had several of these sent to my computer, and not just on birthdays. They show Hallmark as the sender; and, for subject, have either said, "You have a greeting card from a friend," or "You have a postcard from a relative." Luckily, my e-mail filter has always caught these, before they were delivered.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  7. Happy Birthday Brian, enjoy!
    Since quite some time now I don't open any e-greeting cards, regardless the url. I just delete the emails that tell me I have an e-greeting. I may miss some genuine ones, but the risk isn't worth it to me.

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Happy Birthday.

There are some people who click on any link sent to them in an e-mail. Attackers love these people, because they're the easiest to infect. I was just at a Microsoft Tech-Ed presentation a couple weeks ago called "How I can Hack into your Network in a Day." The guy gave a very eye-opening presentation of why you should never click on any link in an e-mail.

Firewalls and other protections don't do a damn thing if you invite the guy into your box by clicking on that link. It's amazing how much scary stuff is out there and easily accessible.

9. ahoogerhuis

ahoogerhuis

Jan 19, 2006
    Congrats! And from someone that works in the industry (good guys, not spammers ;) ), yes, forums are trwaled but automated scripts, memberships on email-lists, and who knows how many other sources are run thorugh to harvest emails for lists.

Only thing to do is to get proper spam/virus protection. Most services like gmail, hotmail and yahoo are fairly well filtered, but many private providers or accounts bundled by DSL/cable providers are not (here in Europe at least).

-A :)

10. Happy Birthday and many more!

11. Happy birthday and thanks for the heads up!

Anthony

12. I got one 15 minutes after reading your message. It said something about coming from a family member. I used the old delete button trick and away it went. Thanks for the heads up !

13. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    At first, when I saw the subject, I was thinking something Latex;-). But that is rather low and cold to send evil e-cards. What is this world coming to?

Happy B-day, anyway!

14. Happy belated birthday.