Troon Beach, Scotland, UK

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by antsplan, May 28, 2007.

1. My wife and I took my friends daughter to the beach today, in typical Scottish style as soon as we arrived, very large black clouds rolled in. I got the camera out and shot in B&W mode and have since done a little dodge/burn and sharpening.

Interested to know what others think - does it work ? I'm not certain I like it.

Still a newb so any comments will be helpful.

In the distance is the Isle of Arran and the peak that you can just about make out is Goat Fell. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

2. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Hi Anthony,

I think you have a good idea here, but overall the picture seems a little to dark to me.

3. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    I really like the post processing. Excellent !

Regards

RFC

4. James

thanks for your comments, I wonder if thats what I don't like about the photo also ? I'll post an original straight out the camera and also perhaps a brighter version and see what works best. Thanks for taking the time.

5. RFC, thankyou !

TBH I don't actually believe I did too much PP so probably can't take too much credit, the elements themselves did most of the work.

As I said above, I will post an original shortly to see just how much I did do - perhaps it was a lot ? LOL

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2007
  6. I shot in B&W mode in the D80 with RAW & JPG Fine, so at the other end I get a B&W .jpg and a Colour NEF, both are below exactly right out the camera, with only a resize and no other PP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. greeneggs

greeneggs Guest

I don't like the B&W conversion. I think you can get more out of the shadow beneath the log, for example.

8. Ok, thanks for your comments. When you say 'more out of the shadow', can you elaborate a little please, sorry still a relatively newcomer to photography. Do you mean darken it ?

9. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    From a composition standpoint you have a foreground element, you placed it so it goes from one corner of the frame to the other and you have some background interest (so far so good) my only negative is that you are far away from the water and if you didn't tell me this was a beach I might not be able to distinguish that fact. I would have tried to get a bit closer to the water with all the other elements in place. Just my 2 cents worth unfortunately the value of my opinion has not kept up with inflation :biggrin:- Jeff

10. Jeff

I do actually agree wrt the water. unfortunately to get the foreground interest in by way of the log/tree I had to widen my lens and move closer to it. Perhaps I shouldnt have mentioned a beach - LOL

Appreciate your comments :biggrin:

11. Having lectured in Scotland (Glasgow-Paisley-Edinburgh-Oban-Fort William-Ullapool-Inverness-Dundee etc) many times during the autumn I recognise the weather. :biggrin::biggrin:

I like the the second B&W one best. The coloured one does nothing for me.

Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2007

12. Interesting Bob, thats straight out the camera. I agree the colour version is very bland, i wonder if this is due to the B&W settings I used ?

You must have been very bad in a former life to have been (un) lucky enough to lecture in Paisley ! :biggrin: Only joking, I'm sure Ullapool/Fort William will have more than made up for it.

Thanks for taking the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.