Tropic Thunder and the use of "retard"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milkman, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have started a blog in the last couple of days, I know who hasn't. Thought I would let everyone know and also bring to light the poor use of the above word in the process.

http://chrismielke.blogspot.com/

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I know how you feel. My son is autistic and I cringe everytime someone uses that term simply to describe a socially inept person.

3. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Has anyone watched the movie yet (just opened yesterday)? I haven't, but my understanding is that it's about picking on the actors who use characters with disabilities to get ahead, and not about picking on people with disabilities.

4. I have a 22 year old nephew who is slightly retarded, mentally challenged, or socially inept, (whatever the word is today), who lives with me. The word is thrown around way to much but at the same time I know a lot of people are morons who don't think much before opening their mouths. I just shake my head because those who are mentally challenged are some of the best people I know.

I haven't seen the movie (but I will) and not sure how it is used or what context it's used in but really it's not that big of deal. I can think of a lot more things to get upset about.

5. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Bill, I haven't seen the movie - I wait till movies come out on video - let's say it is very funny and it is not insensitive. Still, it will have more people feeling it is o.k. to use the word retard - which is not a good thing at all.

I taught elementary school for 38 years and I saw many groups of kids use a word they claimed was cool to dump on those they wanted to make feel lousy.

6. Interesting read. When the movie "The Ringer" was announced I assumed it would not be a PC movie but It showed mentally challenged actors in a positive light and they were making the jokes instead of being the butt of them. We need more movies like this to show how mentally challenged people have feelings and compassion like everybody else........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

7. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Well they do make comedies like this to get a rise out of people, for good or bad...

8. Im actually going to see the movie tonight with a friend, ill let you guys know how it is.

9. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    It's a word. The only power it has is the power you give it, nothing more.

10. I agree... and my sister is handicapped. When she was young, we said she was retarded and that word was okay. Now, we are not allowed to use that word because someone decided it was no longer appropriate. So, my beautiful sister is now called handicapped because it is less offensive. So, we can't use it to label someone who is handicapped, but we also don't want to use it for someone who is not because that offends those who are... ???? So, does the word just go away?

It's a comedy. And, by the way, the movie is in hot water for more than just that. Black groups are upset with Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal of a white man who tries to become black!

11. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    reading that blog hurt my eyes

white text on black background was like looking at an optical illusion

I have no idea what movie this is...googling now

12. dj addicted

dj addicted

Apr 15, 2008
    Florida
    I think people have nothing better to do that complain about a movie. Plenty of other things in their lives to worry about instead of some movie. You don't like it....DONT SEE IT!!!

13. I agree. It's getting to the point that people are becoming responsible - not only for what they say - but for how others take and interpret it...some of which aren't involved in the original situation. The PC police.

14. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    It's a comedy, and it is a movie. Why are people so sensitive now a days. What happened to us, geez.

15. We spend so much time worrying about semantics, correctness, values, and "feelings", that very little of true worth is achieved. The thought police grow in power.

16. I work in Hollywood and I understand both sides, but here's my take. Hollywood is dominated by people with a certain mindset and concept of the world. People who are not represented in Hollywood don't have a say on how the world perceives them. While I agree people need to lighten up, I also agree that Hollywood is responsible for representing people fairly. Basically itt's okay when the butt of the joke is about someone else, but when the laughs turn on you, it ain't so funny.

Don't even get me started about how I think racial minorities are portrayed in Hollywood. I'm of Filipino descent and I went to rural Pennsylvania to visit a friend, as I was walking in this small town, some random teenager with his mother started making karate motions in front of my face. I was nearly about to pull a knife out on him had it not been for his mother profusely apologizing to me.

I blame the media for that ignorant and misinformed incident. :rolleyes:

17. Funny. - I hope.

18. I find many comments interesting. Many are saying lighten up. Well I do on many items, I turn my head and let them pass. Some on many items that maybe many others don't. For me the use of the word and what it means and the cruelness that it is intended at my own son. Well I don't turn my head on that. Some say that there are more important things. To each of those I say, I'm glad you have more important things to be upset about. Pursue them all you want, I tip my hat to do for doing so. Please don't begudge me mine then.

I find nothing more important than how we treat our fellow person residing on the planet. If we can't be respectful to each others feelings than what else is there? We all live on this rock together and if someone is hurt by what you do, why would someone keep doing it? So what if their sensitive from your perspective they are, if you walk in there shoes, it might not be.

Like Jonathon F/2 writes. Why should he have to put up with that. He shouldn't. Neither should people with disabilities have to put up with poor representations of themselives in film or coming up with cute phrases that put them down.

19. I saw the movie today. It was a funny movie. I was a bit surprised when they used the "r" word, but as stated above, it's a comedy and I believe nothing is off limits. I'm not a racist, but I took no offense at what Imus said either. His show is a comedy show. People should be able to joke about anything. If you don't like it, turn it off or don't listen. Nobody forces anyone to watch or listen to anything.

As to the movie, Tom Cruise was hilarious as the bald producer. And Robert Downey stole the movie. His portrayal was so dead on, I couldn't even tell it was him.

20. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    I also saw the movie and the context that the word is used in I did not find offensive..it was poking fun at actors and not people that fall into this genre. I will not give away the context as some may want to see the movie for themselves.

I will say though that as said above, this is a movie and a comedy at that . If all movies were made to be perfectly PC then we woudl not have alot of the classics like Mel Brooks movies..or have you ever seen the original bad News Bears...that was a kids movie and I was extremely surprised when I watched it a few years ago at the language that is used becasue todays movies would never get away with that.

Anyway, movie is extremely funny and I agree Tom Cruise and Robert Downey were the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.