Trouble shooting fireworks...

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by JMartin, Jul 3, 2005.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Some of my neighbors were shooting fireworks tonight, so I thought I would get some practice before the big show tomorrow night.

I used some of the settings suggested here and thought I was ready to go... manual mode, ISO 200, F16 @ 4 secs, tried F22, tried lower F-stops, tried longer exposure times, but every time I would hit my shutter release the only reaction from my camera would be to display r04 (on the D100 that means the buffer will hold 4 shots) but would not take any pictures.

After about an hour of messing with camera settings, reading the manual and a lot of words I shall not repeat here, I managed to get one photo.

Is there something I am just not getting? With the camera in manual mode, focusing manually and setting the F-stop and time I want, shouldn't the camera fire when I press the shutter release?

Thanks in advance,
    Joe

2. JMartin

JMartin Guest

ok, chalk this one up to inexperience... as I typed the message I thought about something.

I was using my 24-85 F3.5G. It has a M/A - M switch on it and it is set to M/A. This was my first time needing to use this feature as most of the stuff I shoot I use apeture priority and not full manual.

Joe