True eagle HORROR (again I say warning)

You know horror in nature is really not something that is there; we just think it in that form or manner. But when man becomes involved with something like this I call it true HORROR.
Back in December 2005 I received a call from the Delaware Valley Raptor center and ask if I could come down and take some photos for them. Stephanie Streeter than explained to me about a 10 month old male golden eagle that was brought in after being shot from the sky while most likely in his first migration south and was in real bad shape and they wanted to have photos for the record. I went down the next morning and went into the small cage they had formed just for him so he was as comfortable as a bird in his condition could be. They had completed the necessary surgery that night and I won’t show that photo but the rest will bring tears to your eyes
Lou

1 Here I am standing above him in the cage and the poor guy is trying to show his courage by raising his hackles at me.
907575897_ccdba43fe3_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 still above him
907575973_8bbf18c367_o.jpg

3 now I am sitting on the floor with him
907576003_1d7dfd1d6e_o.jpg

4 My God I can’t believe anyone could do this
907576075_07c7aac508_o.jpg

5 side view
907576137_4291114d0a_o.jpg

6 A full view of him and it is good he is able to stand with just the one wing
907576187_b0425397c4_o.jpg

7 This was a tough one for me. As I looked through the viewfinder I had tears running down my cheeks and he seem to be saying to me WHY, WHY?
907591675_8c0782e617_o.jpg

On a brighter note the bird although never to soar again does have his very own cage and quite a good size. It was built special for him at a cost of over $4000.00 and I visit him every time I go there. It is equipped with ramps so he can perch up high and look out his cage and I am happy they were able to save him even though it was not what his life was excepted to be. To this day the person responsible for this act of horror was never found even with the help of the State Police and the Fish and Wildlife of the State of Pa. and local law enforcement agencies.

what kind of person would shoot an eagle? this is very sad indeed. i hope they find who was responsible. it's a good thing the eagle is still standing today.

It is a beautiful Bird, I just Wonder if there is not a good use for this bird even with one wing. I hope they hang the culprit.

No Gary there can never be any use for him as he can never be used for the shows as having only one wing would turn some people off. I don'd think it could even be used as a mate cause think about what the male does for the female while she is incubating. No he was originally going to be put down but the center fought for him and won. So evey once i awhile I get to visit with him.
Sad life for a bird like this but he still shows he is able to seem to get along quite well. Perhaps because he was so young when this happened.
Lou

I hope he is found and thrown in prison next to Michael Vick. Nice shots Lou.

I doubt this will ever happen now Jimmy. To see a bird like the golden eagle in this state it just tairs at your heart cause you know what he was going to be soaring high in the skys.
Lou

what kind of person would shoot an eagle? this is very sad indeed. i hope they find who was responsible. it's a good thing the eagle is still standing today.

Ahhh Joe if only you knew how much of this goes on. Not only here in the States but also in Canada and Alaska. Much poaching goes on regular. One of the young I monitored in Delaware County N.Y in 2001 was found shot in Pa. but was brought to a rehabber right away and being it was banded the rehabber could ID it and it was one just in its first winter. As luck would have it the young eagle was able to be released back to the wild. This is always a great celabration to be at.
Lou

Sad for sure. There are some ignorant sick twisted inbred folks out there. We had an idiot shoot two ospreys in the head, killing them. He was caught..but got off with a small fine. Truly sick individuals.

Yeah Mike I can hear you. Just think now the eagle is delisted from the endangered Species Act which I feel will also soon be dropped by our leaders and open the doors for land development of their habitat. The law sometimes sucks.
Lou

Let me at im! That idiot that shot this magnificent bird would regret it by the time I got through with him! Touching but beautiful photos and story.

I am sure Dianne if you did get to him or her or both you would be the one going to jail. If your going to shoot an intruder make sure he is in the house and not halfway in the window.
Lou

Let me at im! That idiot that shot this magnificent bird would regret it by the time I got through with him! Touching but beautiful photos and story.
Lou, Dianne, and All,

Dianne, when you get through with this slime-ball, I'll take my turn. I'm so proud of the human race. :confused: :frown: :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

This is a terrible crime
No words could every express what I feel with this behavior.
Such a beautiful bird.
Well I am glad it is alive

a couple of AP`s thru his engin block should help. Let the law handle it and some bed-wetting low life lawyer will cry about his "RIGHTS" and some sorry judge will give him a small fine and a bit of comunity service. Bird should have been put down.

Latest threads

Top Bottom