Trying Ebay To Sell Photos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    And so far, it's simply not working.

I had seen a few pieces of real crud go for $30 in an 8" x 10" size while good looking stuff listed at $9.99 went nowhere.

Sooo...I listed 4 or 5 at $25.99 in an 8" x 10" print only of what I thought was some decent stuff (Buy it Now) and nobody is hardly even looking at them...much less buying them.

Here's a link to one of the auctions in case you're bored and would like to check the progress....

Ebay Auction

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ya know, I have seen this same effect. What is the hook some so-so photogs use to sell their off color inkjet prints for so much! Subject matter? I dunno.... :Confused:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,
    Try different pic......

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi gale...

I've got 4 or 5 of them listed. Doesn't seem to matter.

I have good luck selling locally framed...I was just loking for a venue to sell #'s of 8" x 10" images as they require very little work on my part.

5. There must be some way they attract them to ebay to buy them. I wonder if there are art/photo portals out there?

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I recall reading one or more magazine articles that seemed to endorse Ebay as a great way to sell prints. But then with a little searching I found discussion threads on various web forums on the topic and those that tried it were almost universally disappointed with the results. Come to think of it, Ebay isn't exactly where I would look if I were wanting to buy photographic prints or other artwork. I think the only way it might be likely to work is if you're really good at titling your auctions and there are people looking for very specific subject matter that you happen to have.

7. I firmly believe photography doesn't sell. If it's not an assignment for a company (or people) that will use it for actual communication, it's just not a sought-after medium.

Very weird and complex subject I don't quite understand myself.

8. Hi again JF. Short for Jim Fenton !!!! :biggrin: :rolleyes:

I buy and sell on eBay a lot, and there is no way that I would even contemplate putting any of my photos on eBay. It is the wrong site entirely.
    You may have seen some of my wingscale pictures that are the 'MACRO' section. I contacted Oxford Scientific Films about the new work and they said "Hmmm." In otherwords ' Not really interested.' I then came across the site InsectNet.com which is primary for people wanting to trade in Dead or Papered insects. Made a contact and the result is 45 prints- 10 calendars and 10 large posters, ( up to 50x30 inches) going to the 'World of Insects Fair' in Paris at the end of October.

The point of this diatribe is that it is 'Horses for Courses' and ebay is just not the right course.

Best wishes. Bob F.

9. If it makes you feel beter Jim, I looked at
    your auctions. I have always liked your
    shots.
    I don't think ebay is the right place
    to sell photo's. I don't know anything about
    them but have you considered a place like
    art.com for selling framed work?

Cheers,
    Robin