Trying my hand at 850 focus stacking

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Ed Catlett, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    Looking for Fall colors but ended up with water falls. This particular one seemed well suited to testing out the 850 focus shift functionality. Still lots of experimenting to do but it feels pretty promising. 2017-11-04-20-30-37-(B,Radius8,Smoothing4)cr.

2. Nice! What software do you use to stack the images? How many images did you stack for this picture?

Glenn

3. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    Helicon. Still just the trial version but this with a couple of Urbex shots that I did same day convinced me it is well worth it.

This was with Tamron 24-70 g2, 31mm. (There wasn't much wiggle room to get the tripod in a great place) 5 shots at f5.6 1/8th processed with Capture One. I think that the step value was 5 if I remember right. I need to start taking some notes on these to get a little more precise instead of guessing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. That looks very good. It would be interesting to compare it with a single photo at, say, f/11 focused at the hyperfocal point.

5. Thanks Ed...I might have to give the Helicon trial version a try. I've been using Photoshop (CS5) and it seems that the output is sporadic.

I was watching Steve Perry's D850 review video, and he said that for landscapes he sets the focus width at 4. He sets the number of shots for 100 (when using f/5.6 - f/8) and then runs a continuous burst in Live View. This prevents vibration and fires through the sequence quickly with the interval between shots set to zero. He said that the sequence will end WAY before it ever reaches 100 shots...apparently it automatically stops when it reaches infinity. So, in a shot such as the one in this thread, the sequence might stop after 7. That way, you don't have to compute the number of shots that it will take. I am going to have to practice this--and then upgrade my stacking software to handle it.

Glenn

6. This shot looks alive to me, nice work.

Cheers

7. I'm liking Helicon as opposed to PS for stacking Glenn. I collect my stack with step=4, 1 second delay between silent captures. In post, I'll pick one of the middle shots in LR, process accordingly, copy the actions to the other files, and send them to Helicon for stacking. Clean up of the final image in PS. Seems to work pretty well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    Thanks Glenn. I had my number of shots at I think 15. I had found this old building earlier in the day that I used the focus shift for and had my number set high only to get 5-6 shots at 5.6 so I guess I could have just left it high but changed it anyway. Feels like the high number of shots and low step are def. going to be for macro. May try one of those with the forecast blustery weather over the weekend.

9. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    In this case that fallen tree was maybe 2 feet from my lens as I recall. To get the fallen tree and the far trees all in focus in a single shot the way I needed to have my tripod set and lens zoomed to the way I had it cropped I don't think I could have gotten it all even at f22. DOF chart looks like I could have with a 14mm and then cropped. At some point I'll do a compare but the day I did this I was kind of kicking the tires to get a feel for that particular new feature of the 850.

10. I can almost feel the water cascading over the rocks and the vibrant look of the colors over the rest of the image is amazing. Well done.

11. I agree. I wasn't looking carefully at the foreground tree trunk when I posted my comment.

I must admit, this is the one capability that I find really intriguing about a D850.

12. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Very nice image and demo of Focus Stacking (although not incorrect why Nikon chose to name it Focus Shift escapes me) and a really great feature to have in camera

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Steve Perry also recommended not using a focus step value higher than 5 as he thought the overlap would not be enough for most images.

14. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    I second this.

15. Ed Catlett

Ed Catlett

Oct 24, 2017
    Would not have worked. See explanation earlier in the thread.