Trying my new 300mm. f/4 on planes !

JPS

Just spent today's lunch hour near Geneva's airport !

All shot with D700 and 300mm. f/4 ! EXIFS datas are embedded !

All shots were handheld ! I set-up my camera with the AF-ON system settings that I read in several threads... although it took me a few shots to force my brain to work differently, I have to say that this technique seems very efficient !

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

...obviously I will have to find what is the best shutter-speed to get the propellers nicely blurred !

:smile:

J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prop blur is usually under 1/250. I like the ones with the sun behind you more, but they are all great.

JP,

:smile: These are all silky-smooth, and just terrific! :smile:

One thing I forgot to mention in your first thread with 300mm is this (and not saying that anything you've shot so far with the 300 is wrong): When PPg images from the 300, you will want to be extra careful when it comes to sharpening. The 300 is like the 50mm - razor sharp right out of the camera. So any PPg sharpening should be done cautiously as it is verrrrrrrrry easy to over-cook a given image. Mind that I don't know your PPg work-flow, just that the final images I've always seen from you are wonderfully executed. And so I would guess that you're going to find your PPg workflow reduced a bit with the 300. Or at the least, have some band-aids ready in case you cut yourself with this lens. :eek::wink::biggrin:

JPS

JP,

:smile: These are all silky-smooth, and just terrific! :smile:

One thing I forgot to mention in your first thread with 300mm is this (and not saying that anything you've shot so far with the 300 is wrong): When PPg images from the 300, you will want to be extra careful when it comes to sharpening. The 300 is like the 50mm - razor sharp right out of the camera. So any PPg sharpening should be done cautiously as it is verrrrrrrrry easy to over-cook a given image. Mind that I don't know your PPg work-flow, just that the final images I've always seen from you are wonderfully executed. And so I would guess that you're going to find your PPg workflow reduced a bit with the 300. Or at the least, have some band-aids ready in case you cut yourself with this lens. :eek::wink::biggrin:
Hi Herschel !

Thanks for reminding me about PP.... I will be extra-careful when PPing images made using this lens ! The thing is, as a TELELENS, it hardly forgives focus errors, so SHARPENING doesn't help if the image isn't really sharp !

BTW, my usual sharpening is -with Smart sharpen in CS4- Amount 300, Radius 0.25, then I might use EDIT > Fade Smart Sharpen and reduce as needed !

Usually I give another go at Smart Sharpen after having reduced for Web use !

Cheers,
J-P.

PGB

They are all very nice, but the first one, the Raytheon / Beechcraft Premier Jet is really nice!

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to more planespotting shots from you.

Regards,

JPS

Thanks Bob and Patrick !

I know just as much about planes as I know about birds, which is NOTHING, but as we seem to have more planes than birds around here, I'm just shooting anything that fly !!!

Thing is, yesterday on the lakeside, I saw a guy with a 600 f/4 plus a 1.7x converter, shooting birds that I could hardly see with my own eyes... That showed me that a 300mm. lens, even with a 1.4x converter, is the MINIMUM for birding, and most of the time, just too short to be comfortable ! I'm affraid I could easely catch the NAS ! The "only" problem is the $$$$$$$$$$ price of these lens :eek: !

:wink:
J-P.

JPS

Excellent shots. Now you got the aircraft spotter's bug! (I have it!)
Hi Alex !

I don't know.... Geneva's airport is very near to the city, and there are a lot of spots right in front of the landing/taking off runways ! ...I might go there one every so often !

J-P.

JP.......awesome series and variety of aircraft. The D700 and the 300mm f/4 look like an awesome combo. Now you have me thinking about this lens.

JPS

Hi Mark !

If you CAN, don't hesitate !!! Plus you have two bodies on which you could use this lens at its best: the D300 to get more "reach" for far away subjects, and the D700 to use the lens as an excellent "macro" lens, with the possibility to shoot -bugs for example- from a more distant point !

J-P.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom