1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Trying my new Tamron SP180 macro !!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by JPS, Jul 29, 2009.

1. ...a few bugs around my workshop !

All shots with D700 and Tamron SPAF 180mm. f/3.5 Di Macro (Exif datas are imbedded in the images)

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

...and other things, like a blackberry

original.jpg

...or a "pricky branch" !

original.jpg

I think I'm going to love this lens as much as I loved it's little brother, the SP90 ! ...it allws me to stay further away from the critters, BUT, the downside is that, due to it's longer focal length, I will have to use it a lot more on tripod, which I don't find very practical...

Cheers,
    J-P.

2. Nice shots, J-P. I, too, enjoy using the Tamron 180. I have been very happy with the results.

3. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice Shots! I have the same lens.

4. Very nice!

5. IsaacImage

IsaacImage

Mar 16, 2009
    Toronto
    cool images

6. Thanks guys :smile: !

...the only "negative" thing I noticed its the VERY SLOW auto-focus... it takes a unusual long time to slide until it locks, and if by chance (!?!) it doesn't lock at first, it goes allll the way back and comes back to try to focus again :frown:... I guess I'm definitely going to use it strictly MANUAL !

...strange, as the SP90 is at least twice as fast -although being slow, as compared to an AF-S lens-, and I use it regularly in auto-focus ! I just hope it's not a malfunction on THIS lens !?!

:confused: 
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
  7. The blackberry is Great!
    _______
    Mike

8. Great Blackberry shot. Can't comment on the AF as I normally don't use it with my macros. I would imagine a 180 would be slow considering the range from close to inf.

9. I don't think it is sharp enough JP, YOUCH just cut myself on your images!!! Working well, eh??? Those long lenses are terrible AF, think of the Nikkor 200/4, the best AF wise is likely the Sig 180, and it is still slow...

10. Great macros. Very crisp.

11. Thanks Mike, Glen, Rich and Maji :smile: !

I posted another thread with critters that I shot yesterday at https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=237885 ! I think the latest pics are nicer and sharper than the one above :biggrin:...

I ended shooting only with tripod, or BI-pod (!?!) sometimes, to make it easier to follow the critters moving in the light wind...

...just trying to get better.....

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.