Trying my shutter button at Baseball...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by davidfriend, Mar 25, 2007.

1. I've been going to a few Duke Baseball games and shooting, what I've learned is that shooting baseball takes a lot of patience! Especially in the games I've been at there wasn't a lot of offensive action, so when something happens you better be ready! Here are some of my futile attempts so far, positive feedback telling me these are the best you ever seen would be appreciated ;)

Heavily cropped:
    [​IMG]

Checking the runner:
    [​IMG]

Diving into 2nd:
    [​IMG]

Safe!:
    [​IMG]

Avoiding the inevitable:
    [​IMG]

I wish they would wear their blue uniforms more, much easier to deal with!:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. these are good
    maybe watch WB and saturation some but otherwise really nice job

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gosh it's so nice to see baseball being shot again. If all goes as planned, I'll shoot a doubleheader tomorrow. David, the DOF on your first image is remarkable, very thin. Not sure how much saturation was added in post, but the colors are nice and pungent. You mention heavy crop, which lens did you use in the first? And I understand your delight when shooting the team with dark colored shirts as opposed to white. Thanks for sharing David and I'll be looking forward to plenty more from you in the near future.

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    David , nice action in these, looks rather heavy on the shadows and saturation
    what were your settings--- I was going to go over to Duke today for the game ,but ended up taking my youngest to VIR for historic car Races
    Keep at it

5. Hey guys thanks for the positive reinforcement and suggestions :)

Frank: these are all my Sigma 70-200 2.8 with 1.4 Sigma TC, that 1st shot is f5, the 'wide open' aperture with the TC is f4, which is just as sharp...

6. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    I think these would all look much better with the saturation turned down a bit and possibly a bit more exposure.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice action shots

Agree with the critiques given...:>)))

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I agree with being patient at a baseball game. I can't tell you how many times...I've missed a shot at my son's baseball game because when something does happen, it happens fast, and I wasn't ready.

But all in all...I love this sport more than any other sport. Thanks for sharing. My only comment would be that I also agree about the WB and saturation. Other than that...I think you did a great job capturing those great plays.

9. #1 two seam fastball! nice pictures