1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Trying Night Photography

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by blauweiss, Apr 19, 2007.

1. This was my third outing trying to get night shots. Light pp done to crop and sharpen. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

90089Patent-Office-Lights.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

90089Night-Walk.jpg

This was just for fun:

90089Light-Dancers.jpg

Thanks,
    Sharon

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Sharon, unfortunately your photos don't show up, and when I paste the address directly into the browser, I get a 'file not found' error.

3. Chris:
    I fixed my links. Thanks for trying to look.

Sharon

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    The charge of the light brigade :smile: - I really like this one.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. pamato

pamato Guest

Very nice.

Paul

7. Good collection. Love the first one, the second doesn't wow me due to the star filter and I love the frivolity of the last one. :smile:

8. The building shot is very interesting and well done. Of course the whimsy of the last one is pretty neat also.

9. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Like the mood of the second one.

10. Thanks for all the comments. Now that I seem to have some idea of how to do night shots, I think I really like the challenge. The first one is the Patent and Trademark Office in Alexandria, VA (where my husband works). He informed me last night that someone told him it is illegal to take pictures of Federal office buildings. I did not use any type of filter for the second shot with the starbursts, but found it interesting (being new) that I could achieve this with my settings. The third was driving down the highway on the way home, just playing. It was fun to see the results that I got. It gave me the impression of people dancing across the road. When I have the opportunity, I will definitely be trying more night shots. They are intriguing and fun.

Sharon

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

All nice Sharon.

The strength in the first is that its almost perfect in terms of being plum and square. Thats important in such a shot when architectural elements, lines comprise the composition. The reason I mention 'almost' is that the two small lights top left and right are just a smidge off balance with one another. If you had been just a few feet more to the right perhaps...

The other two are very fine actually. Good composition and lighting in #2, great whimsy in #3.

12. Thanks for taking the time to look and your comments. After I got home and pulled the building up on the computer, I tried to get the shot symmetrical, but realized that I was not careful enough in setting up my shot to be in line with everything. It's all a learning experience and I will definitely be more careful next time.

Sharon

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Sharon, please understand that I like to critique fine attempts more seriously than what I consider to be snapshots. I saw in this shot great color, vibrancy and visual impact that could have been made better with a slight adjustment. Take anything I ever say here with a grain of salt. I appreciate fine imagery and this certainly falls into that category. All three images are far and away better than average.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    NOW I can see them! Nice stuff Sharon! Be careful in that second one, the lights look sharp. I sure hope it's not illegal to photograph government buildings - if it is, perhaps we should insist they all work in quonset huts to save the architecture costs... ;)  (I have a good friend who works in that same building.) And #3 is a picture everyone should take at least once. More often if you like doing that! :BigGrin:

15. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    would you mind sharing the settings for the starbust?

16. I appreciate yours and any other comments submitted on my shots. They help me become a better photographer by perhaps seeing things I would not have.

I hope it's not illegal either! :eek: 
    I took several like #3 and liked this the best.

Here are the settings I used for #2:
    Shutter Priority
    30 sec
    f/22

Sharon

17. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    all are very well done

18. JohnMueller

JohnMueller Guest

Well there is a lot of stuff you can do at night. I love shooting at night and typically try to do long exposures for every trip I take while on work. Here is one example and the settings I used:

254144992_b176d50205.jpg

Camera: Nikon D100
    Exposure: 69.8 sec (349/5)
    Aperture: f/4
    Focal Length: 19 mm
    Time: 11:32pm, under a full moon <---- this is key

The problem with shooting lights is they give off that star quality when shot at higher apertures. I think your top image is perfectly exposed for what it is. All the necessary colors are there. And the bottom photo, well it's just fun to see what kind of creativity you can some up with.

Either way, nice shots and good luck!

19. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

but....this doesn't look like a night shot.

20. Thanks for looking and commenting, John. There were some shots that I felt the "star quality" of the lights took away from the image; but in this case I felt it added to the mood of the shot. Having done very little night photography, does a high aperture always give the star affect in lights?

I truly am a novice at photography and enjoy experimenting with different settings to see what the results would be. Doing this, posting to this forum and reading different comments, helps me learn. Thanks again.

Sharon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.