Trying out some new processing

Discussion in 'People' started by hangman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Number one, I'm not real sure what you did other than the eye pop tutorial. Skin looks good if you processed it. Is the red glow photoshopped, or did yo use a gelled flash? Given the lack of bleed onto the clothes I'm thinking it's photoshopped. Don't much care for it either way. As for number two, I think the skin is too smooth. I'm guessing you added a little red to the lips as well? The central redness almost gives her a geisha girl look. Also, I think the sharpening is a bit too excessive. Can see the halos around the hair. I like the color of the background. I'm thinking the saturation or vividness was boosted?

Disclaimer: the above comments are one guys opinions, and should be taken with a healthy sized grain of salt. ;)

3. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    Thanks for the feedback Medic1210, much appreciated..

For #1:
    All I did was desaturated the image some and smooth out her skin to hide some eczema. No eye pop was done. Also no flashed use, all natural light next to a large window. The red was from her mom's red shirt sitting next to her. Don't know why it didn't appear on the clothes either but it just appeared on the face.

For #2:
    Yes, the green and red channels were boosted.. Good eye ya got there :)
    Instead of my usual skin smoothing technique, I though I'd use noise reduction to smooth the skin to see how it turns out. Side effect is halos..

4. Nice shots. My only issue is the skin smoothing... I don't think it's necessary for children's portraits.