Trying out the 17-35

I just got the 17-35 that I have bought from fellow Cafe member Steve Shive, and I just had to try it out. Man, there is a whole new photographic world out there that I have not experienced since selling my Sony 828. 8) I've got to learn to shoot all over again. :?

I don't pretend that these are worth a crap. I know that they are poorly composed, and the PP is very rushed, but they are my first shots with this wonderful lens. All were taken with the D2H / 17-35 + 500D. I purposely shot these with a very shallow DOF, just to see what they looked like.

Pumpkin served as the not-so-willing model for these shots. :lol:

20702194-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20702196-O.jpg

20702198-O.jpg

I think that I'm going to enjoy this lens. Heck, I haven't even used it for any landscapes yet (it was dark when I got it from UPS).

Regards,

Frank

jees, ya couldn't get any closer!?

Glad it arrived in good shape, Frank. So, how close WERE you? The detail is pretty phenomenal. Isn't that leather case sweet?
ok, for your next assignment, go shoot the duck pond... all of it! ;)

Thanks Gale. Like I said, I have to learn this hobby all over now. 8)

Very funny Steve.... :wink:

I am going to take it with me today, and if it doesn't just pour, I'll get some real landscape shooting in.

BTW, these were shot with the 500D attached. The effect of this add-on lens is much less pronounced than on the 70-200VR. It does magnify and reduce the DOF, but it is much more 'manageable'.

Talk to you later this evening.

Frank

Hey Frank -

The 17-35 is one of my favorite lenses, and it's on my camera more often than any other lens right now. Very versatile and great results throughout most of it's range, I'm sure it won't take long for you to get attached to it. :)

Flew said:
I am going to take it with me today, and if it doesn't just pour, I'll get some real landscape shooting in.

Frank you will LOVE this lens, especially for landscapes. I know you will try various f/settings wide open to see how this babe can do, but I tell you!
You'll be thrilled at 17mm f/2.8!!! :shock:

Thanks David. I'm sure that I'm going to like it. I just haven't learned to do the kind of shooting that this lens is really good for.

Did you notice that I used the 500D on it? It is really cool. While not a true macro lens, it does allow you to get really close. This hobby will keep me even busier now that I have to worry about the long and the short of it....8)

BTW, are you going to be able to make it to the Merritt shoot? I hope so. We are going to have a really good time.

Regards,

Frank

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Panos. I'm not really a landscape shooter, but I hope that I can at least learn enough not to embarrass myself. I'll certainly try it at every aperture setting, just to see where the sweet spots are.

Regards,

Frank

Frank I had the lens for a year before I used it. I never cared for lanscapes but once you start you get hooked. I will be in Yosemite next week and can't wait to see what the lens does there.. Great shots and good luck again..

Flew said:
I'll certainly try it at every aperture setting, just to see where the sweet spots are.

AF-S 17-35/2.8 D IF-ED
Code:
Optic	Angle	   f/	Bl	Focus	Macro	Filter	Weight	Diam	Length	Features
13/10	104°-62°	22	9r	0.28	 1:4.6	 77	    745	   82.5  106	   IF 2ED 3Asphericals

My sweet point 20mm f/4-f/8

Thanks again Panos. Believe me, I studied the specs thoroughly before buying this lens. That doesn't mean that I know how to use it though. :?

I appreciate your guidance tremendously. I'm sure that I will have many more questions as I get a little experience with the lens.

Regards,

Frank

Hey Frank -

Yes, I did notice the addition of the 500D -- somewhat ironic that your first shots with this wide-angle were actually macros...

It's nice to be able to shoot things in context. Although long glass is great for most of what you do, the narrow field of view tends to exclude exterior surroundings. This lens won't usually give you the detail of a given subject (unless it's a rather LARGE one), but instead will give you the surroundings to go along with it. Can be great even when not shooting landscapes, especially if the subject needs some surrounding material to put it into context.

I'd really like to go to Merritt, but haven't made up my mind yet on which trips to take advantage of (there's several possibilities right now). Hard to beat Merritt, though. And it would certainly give me a great chance to give the D2x a thorough workout with familiar targets. I'd be much better able to confirm or refute my suspicions... decisions, decisions.

Now that is sharp and boy your kitty sure looks like my Cleo, good luck with you new baby. I am seriously thinking of the 28-70 and selling my 24-120 after seeing all these great shots with it

David,

Think Merritt, Merritt, Merritt.... :lol:

Mike,

I am now lusting after the 28-70. It will just have to wait though. I think that you would make it sing. :p

Thanks guys.

Frank

So, what a change. Do you have any idea at all how close you are now going to have to get for those Duck Shots? And how in the name of heaven do you expect to get good flight shots? Some bloody-huge-long-stepladder or something :?: :?: :?:

You, my friend, have just taken a very serious new step. You now need a second body......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill,

You crack me up. 8)

Sad thing is......

I have a 2nd body....

And two tripods....

And 5 camera bags....

I'm so out of control. :roll:

Like everybody else here. :lol:

Frank

Must... not... have... camera... lust... Must... not... have

Well, since Bill already opened the door:

You realize, of course, that the combination of D2x and 17-35 lens is ABSOLUTELY SWEET. The detail you can get for landscapes with this combination continues to make me say "wow", even on my stupid test shots... it's one of the reasons I wanted this camera. :)

Sweet dreams! :twisted:

Latest threads

Top Bottom