Trying out the new lens

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, May 24, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I hope you don't mind a little indulgence tonight. I took the new lens outside and photographed whatever came near me. It's an off brand 500mm but it is sweet. :wink: I owned one of these a few years back and regretted ever selling it so I decided to get another one.

This Bluebird flew up on the fence so he had the distinction of being the first subject photographed.

[​IMG]

I'm HUNGRY !!! (sorry about the perch but that's where he was)

[​IMG]

I'm not your mother but I will feed you anyway. Cowbirds lay their eggs in other species nests and they are raised by whatever bird happens to hatch them. The Sparrow's were the lucky family here.

[​IMG]

Went over near the feeder and this Cardinal was kind enough to give me one shot at him.

[​IMG]

2. Is it a Bigma? Nice pictures looks like you got a good copy. Those tend to get a little getting use to.

3. WOW, Andy! These are all incredible shots! Keep em coming and congrats on the new lens!

4. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Beautiful shots

5. surrogate feathers?? HMMMNNN
    nice shots!

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    It's a Canon 500/4 IS. Can I say that outloud? :biggrin:

7. Your going to Love it, do you have a 1.4 TC make it 700/5.6 with little or no loss in IQ

8. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Gary,

This is the second time I have owned this lens. I used one for about three years then sold it. I do have converters and usually weld the 1.4 to this lens. I'll show you some photos sometime taken with this lens with stacked converters, it will blow your mind.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh, Andy....how is a 500/f4 IS an off-brand lens. Certainly one of the top 3 or 4 long telephotos currently available at this time. :rolleyes:

As for the perches, I'm so glad that you posted these. I'm processing some from last weekend that have similar problems (human stuff in the frame). Now I can say the Glacier was my example. :biggrin:

Excellent images.

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Well, this place is called the NIKONcafe. :tongue:

11. No Comment!!!

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Just a coincidence Andy, believe me. :rolleyes:

13. Beautiful shots. I think it is funny to hear you refer to the Canon as off brand. I guess it is to Nikon shooters. Well done.

14. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks Jim! The off brand comment was made with tongue planted firmly in cheek. :wink: At those prices I would hope any brand would be excellent. This is a Nikon site so I conduct myself accordingly. I won't ever get into a discussion about which equipment is best because I truly think they are all pretty darn good in this day and age.

15. I could not agree more!!!!

16. Yeah Andy as you know I also have that glass and I love it because it has the IS and I don't need a tripod but get away with a monopod. With my 1dm2n it is pretty fair with the 2X also and will AF as a matter of fact it will AF with stacked TEs with the 1dm2n.
    These photos are beautiful and the man made stuff don't seem to bother the birds so why you??
    Lou

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Does not matter here what you shoot. We just don't like camera bashing of any brand. There seems to be another site that does that quite well:>))))

Now to your beautiful images:>))
    Thanks for sharing