Trying something new

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by srwatters, Aug 2, 2008.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Gena wanted something 'different', so we went old school...

Anyone want to play guess the lighting?

Model: Gena West
    MUA: Tawnie
    Assisted by Jeff Medlin

Nikon D3, Nikkor 24-70G ED-IF AF-S N
    ISO 800, f/4, 1/60 @ 70mm
    Gena058.

Comments appreciated as always.

2. I love it Scott. At first the lamp base threw me. I couldnt grasp what it was and it threw the whole scene off for me. Once I figured out that she was leaning back on a chair and not suspended (thought the base was a hanging light fixture) it all came together.

As far as lighting, I will guess a skylight. I can see that it is coming from the right side of the frame and just to the far side of her head, but it looks so smooth and even. Or maybe bouncing a strobe from the cieling?

3. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Roy. On the side table is a piece of iron art. It's a globe but I chopped off a bit much to get to the crop I wanted. We were trying to emulate some of the tamer work of Helmut Newton.

The most interesting part of the lighting is this was done with just the modeling lamps on two Hensel Integra Pro Plus 500 monolights. The D3 gives me so much latitude with the clean high ISO I'm now able to explore more ambient light shooting in the studio. I actually had to add grain to the shot to get the film feel.

One head had my new 12" long throw reflector and the second was a 7" with a 30 degree grid. Now that I have 4 of these lights I'll be taking on some more challenging arrangements.

4. thanks for the explanation of the lighting in your second post, scott
    this is a great image
    and i'm thrilled that the D3 is allowing you to experiment more in the arena of lighting

i can't wait to see what you'll show us next

5. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks Greg!

The next images you see from me will hopefully be done at Destin in your home state. I'm looking for a model or two next week that might want to shoot sunset at the beach. I know that's a ways from you, but perhaps you might send someone my way...

Thanks again!

6. Love the shot- I think that you did a great job with the "Helmut Newton" feel. Your model looks quite like Jerry Hall.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    The arm looks like it melted to her dress. But I absolutely love the shot. The lamp threw me off as well.

8. Scott, you'll be about 2 hours down the road. Are you driving or flying? Whatever the case you'll have some beautiful scenery to work with.

9. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    We're here in Destin. Flew into Ft. Walton this morning. I have one model lined up for the weekend and am looking for one more.

It's so nice and cool here compared to 106 in Dallas when we left!

10. I'll definately be looking forward to seeing some of your work from this week. Enjoy your stay.

11. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    Very nicely done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.