1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

trying to clean up a image

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by WHISTLING_WINGS, Aug 29, 2008.

1. This is a friend, I am useinf my cousins CS3 can someone walk me through it? I want only the dancer nothing else.

Thanks
    Darrell DSC_0124.

2. Tektrnica

Tektrnica Guest

so you want just the dance on a plain background, or you just want the dancer in the room, but without the other people behind her? If you want only the dancer and nothing else then the pen tool set to selection is your friend (NOT the lasso selection tool as most people think) the best place to look is on good-tutorials.com or pixel2life.com both are very good learning sites for photoshop. If you are doing this, then set aside a free afternoon, it can be a painstakingly annoying task.. esp if you have never done it before.. Good luck. Any questions just ask :D 

3. Thanks
    I think I have too remove her totally, I don't think the distraction in the back I don't think can be cleaned up.

I'll try your idea, yes it should be fun :eek:  and I'm sure I'll be wondering why I agreed.

4. Sometimes....

Sometimes, the magic wand tool will do a great job, if there are a lot of color differences around the object and then, invert the selection and copy/paste into a new image.

I don't think this image will be that easy though.

Don

5. I have done this

to a number of images. The easiest and quickest way for me is to simply use the eraser tool.

Create a duplicate layer. Work on the duplicate layer and hide the original (I use it to copy parts and paste in case of errors)

Use a bigger eraser around the edges, and zoom in to use a smaller one up close. It will take a bit of time, but will be effective.

6. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Hi Darrell, I'm pretty new to PP. I'm trying to practice and get better at it. I hope you don't mind, I used elements, and sampled the color off the back wall and painted it over everything but the dancer. If you'd like I can post what I tried to do. If not I'll just erase the pic and hope I haven't offended you.

7. nu2scene

Please post the image and steps used, there is so many ways I'm finding to do stuff, one more can't hurt

Thanks
    Darrell

8. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I'm pretty new to using elements, and I did this pretty quickly. But I guess it'll give you an idea anyway.

2810286334_d115d76b16_o.

I basically just isolated the dancer first with the quick selection tool. In CS3 it might be easier to mask her out? But I wanted to protect her, so I selected her out. Then I just went as close to each thing I wanted to get rid of, and sampled that part of the wall, and then used a brush and painted that color over whatever I was removing.

I'm sure if you take your time with isolating the dancer and then being more careful with the color picking and blending it'll come out much better.

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Peano - you are just brilliant!

10. Ditto Leah's comments -- you are the master of photoshop!!

11. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Great Peano....as always

Now when are you going to offer some Photoshop tutorials????

I reckon "you" would be oversubscribed many times over!!!!!

Just love seeing your work...always enough, never too much...always spot on!

Best wishes

Ray

12. I'd be the first in line for one of those!! :smile:

13. Can you say thread hyjack:rolleyes: 

14. Peano

Peano

Not what I meant, it was my thread about the photo you so kindly created a incredibe PP creation, I only wished it was larger it's just incredible. But after that it became about you! not a post about the ? of fixing it. I am sure many saw your work and simply thought they could not offer better or a walk thru of doing one.

I appreciate what you did, it's just when you get noticfication and it's a critique of your work it is frustrating.

No hard feeling, just it seems every post I have made gets turned into something else.

Thanks again
    Darrell

15. Yes, the basic thing you need to do is to isolate your subject as Peano has shown.

There are lots of ways to mask a subject. That's a whole discourse on its own.
    Here I use the Vertus Photoshop plug-in, Fluid Mask.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

16. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Just fancied a play

Ray

[​IMG]

17. That's excellent Virginia, except now she is "floating".:wink:

18. You're right, Diane.:biggrin:
    Here's an example where I took my cutout saved as a psb file and reused it in this montage so I could "ground" the dancer.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.