1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Trying to decide what kind of flash I need

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by jreed105, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jreed105

jreed105

Feb 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi!

I have just agreed to do a wedding shoot for a friend. I'm nervous because I don't feel I have the experience, but everyone is telling me to do it, that I'll be great.

I have a year to practice, so I figure I should get the equipment I need ASAP.

I'm shooting with a d40x. I have no extra flashes yet, just the onboard flash. I'm trying to figure out if there are flashes that can communicate with the camera, instead of having to shoot in manual. I don't feel I could get the shots quick enough. I've been playing with an older SB-24, which can't talk to the camera.

I'm also looking at remote flashes. I don't have a big budget, would like to stay under $300.00.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

2. jreed105

jreed105

Feb 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, believe me, I don't want that to happen.

In order to be a 2nd shooter, I would have to find a photographer willing to let me tag along.

I told him i am NOT a professional. And they said that if they wanted a professional, they'd hire one. They want someone who will do good, and have fun with them. I did their engagement pictures for them, and they loved them.

Believe me, I don't know if I want to do it or not. I don't want to screw it up, but I don't want them to settle for someone else whom I'm afraid won't make them happy.

3. jreed105

jreed105

Feb 22, 2008
    Indiana
  4. jreed105

jreed105

Feb 22, 2008
    Indiana

Need to find people around here who likes to be photographed.

5. You need an sb600, sb800, or sb900 to take advantage of the full capability of your camera's ittl flash system.

Does "everyone" have some background in wedding photography, or are they basing their opinion on the fact that you have a nice camera and will work for food? :wink:

Trust your feelings. You may have a great eye, but you don't have the gear or the experience to handle a Mission Critical event yet. Tell them to hire an experienced wedding photographer, and that you'll shoot backup for free. Jmho.

6. soulman

soulman Guest

I tried as a backup shooter twice. First time the pro's stuff was average and they happily paid me for letting them have my stuff.... second time was awful, vowed never to get involved with weddings again, oh and I got to see how good a real pro wedding photographer is!

7. jreed105

jreed105

Feb 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Haha, very good point! I guess I'm just torn. I know they don't want to hire a professional photogropher, and I think the main reason is, they just don't want a pro. But if they decide to go with someone who is not professional, I'd rather it be me, because I know how self conscious I am about the things that I do. I know it's dumb, but I guess I'd rather sell them my OK pictures, than take the chance of some other non-pro screwing it up for them...

Nobody in the "everyone" group has any background in photography, they've just seen what I've taken, and I guess are happy with it. I know personally that it's in no way "professional". Compared to the photoraphs they've looked at, they're great! But with all the pro's that are in here, I know they're mediocre.

This is definitely a great place for advice, I wont' argue that!

8. jreed105

jreed105

Feb 22, 2008
    Indiana
    Awful how? The experience with the pro? Or the wedding itself?

9. RvUsa

RvUsa

Feb 15, 2008
    Darlington, Pa
    Heres my 2 cents...

As a person who's wife cries when she looks at our wedding pictures, because they SUCK, be sure you are gonna be ready. They may say they want you, but they will have some expectations, and how will you feel if you don't meet them? Is the friendship strong enough to handle any problems that may happen, is it worth endangering the friendship if something does happen.

I will never have the nerve to shoot a wedding, I can't handle the pressure of recording one of the most important days in a couples lives in my hands. If you screw up a senior picture you can have them come back and do it again, there are no mulligans on wedding day!!!

To this day, I still want to walk into our "photographers" studio and punching him in the mouth!!! :Angry:

10. soulman

soulman Guest

My pics were awful, I got nervous and made lots of basic mistakes caused by being stressed and not as familiar with kit as I thought...

11. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Have to agree. I cover events/parties/commercial portraits/PR assignments, but when someone asks about weddings I always direct them to a photographer that has the necessary experience.

I'm shooting a wedding next year for family because of budget pressures, yet despite doing all kinds of shoots I'll treat this as the single most delicate and important project I've been involved with.

So much so that if I can't get second shooting duties on other weddings before it happens I'll bring in my own (experienced) assist at my own cost to make sure I don't muck up what is a hugely important day.

12. And while it's good that they liked the engagement pictures you took, you had lots of opportunity to make changes - and most of all RESHOOT if necessary

If they are paying for everything else to be professionally done, they should pay for the photos to be done properly as well

I am getting married in Dec of this year - my brother, sister in law and father in law are excellent photographers
    Yet I am paying for a pro to come shoot the wedding

Primary reason - I want my guests to have a great time-not be stressed before - during - after the wedding, because they are taking pictures

Secondary reason -I want great pics, guaranteed by someone who does this week after week

You really do get what you pay for

I will not be asking my mother or mother in law to cook the dinner, so I won't be asking my relatives to take the photos either

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.