Trying to decide which lens to buy

EDIT: I made my decision and just ordered the Nikon 50 f1.8 S lens.

I would like to take advantage of the current sales that Nikon is offering. I honestly have more gear than I can reasonably use, but the Z6 has become my favorite camera. I have an old Tamron 90 di macro lens that I can use on it adapted, but it is manual focus only. So my first option is to purchase the 105 f2.8 VR Micro lens, which is f-mount. I would definitely get rid of the Tamron macro lens if I purchase the 105. I'm also thinking about trying to sell my 85 f1.4 D lens. I love that lens but haven't used it since I got the Z6. I autofocuses on my D610, but I have barely used that camera in the past year. My other option is to continue to use the Tamron for macro and buy the 50 f1.8S lens. But I do have the much less expensive 50 f 1.8 G lens that I can use adapted on the Z6. I do enjoy taking photos of flowers and bugs in my yard in the summer. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Consider waiting for Nikon to release a macro lens native to the Z system, though I realize that might be a couple or more years. I would think the native 50mm lens that is so highly regarded would be an ideal fit with your style of photography.
Yes. I have been thinking that I should wait till a native Z macro comes out. It's a good point.

Ha. Your previous posts convinced me to spring for the 14-30 once the sales came around. Despite the relatively high cost (for a 50), the 50 f1.8S is a bargain based on IQ alone. If you used the 85 1.4 for family portraiture then I think the 85 1.8S is a good choice as I think many on the board have been impressed with it (it's on my wannaget list).

I'd stick with native Z glass though you might be waiting a long time for a native Z macro . . .

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom