Trying to find two things in the D7000 menu...

...and failing.

I have spent a fairly enjoyable evening trying out my new D7000. Coming from a D50 I have some learning to do as everything seems to be different. The menu seems at the moment like a real struggle to navigate and despite looking I can't find two things that I have set on my D50. Can you guide me?

1. Image display time. I press 'play' to look at an image and within seconds it has gone off. I would like it set to just keep showing the image so I can look at faces for blinks and also show the camera around with the photo displayed.

2. Image details, highlight blinking and histogram. On my D50 (when an image has been taken or is being displayed) using the circular pad on the rear of the camera I can check for burnt out areas and also see the histogram. Is there a way to cycle through these simply on the D7000?

Apart from that it seems good - but the level of complexity is daunting to say the least.

Thanks, F.P.

Not sure on your first question, but for your 2nd question:

Display Mode-

This lets you activate certain playback information screens.

They are all off by default. To set any of them to display, press:

MENU > PLAYBACK > Display mode (go down and check any you want) > Done > OK.

If you forget to go back up to select Done and then to hit OK, the D7000 ignores you! I'm serious; if you think this isn't working on your camera, you forgot both to select DONE and then to select OK.

Once activated, you move through these screens by pressing the up or down buttons while playing an image.

Credited to Ken Rockwell. I don't have a manual with my d7000 so I refer to his manual every now and then.

1st Question:

Hit the menu button>>Go to "Custom Setting Menu" (the pencil icon)>>scroll to item "c" (Timers/AE Lock)>>then select item "c4" (Monitor Off delay)>>>>select "image review" and then choose the duration you wish.

In addition to Image Review, you'll also note all the all the other screen duration options which you can adjust to your preferences.

To check highlights or histogram just push up and down on the back of your camera just like you would if you changed focus points.

To check highlights or histogram just push up and down on the back of your camera just like you would if you changed focus points.

He's already indicated he can't get to it from his circular pad.

The highlight screen won't show in the up/down cycle unless it's enabled for display. As Post #3 says:

Menu, Playback Menu, Display Mode -- then you can use the pad to select/de-select the Highlights, RGB histogram, and data screens. Make sure to click on "Done" when you're done.

This is a handy option that prevents having to cycle up/down through screens one isn't necessarily interested in. Though I have all of them enabled.

He's already indicated he can't get to it from his circular pad.

The highlight screen won't show in the up/down cycle unless it's enabled for display. As Post #3 says:

Menu, Playback Menu, Display Mode -- then you can use the pad to select/de-select the Highlights, RGB histogram, and data screens. Make sure to click on "Done" when you're done.

This is a handy option that prevents having to cycle up/down through screens one isn't necessarily interested in. Though I have all of them enabled.
i opened my box from day one my D7000 was able to do it.

Thank you for the help. I did need to make some changes to the internal menu for the display which was different to my D50. I did read the manual but the terms used in the index were not what I was looking up - but all good now and the camera is doing well. Up to 50 shots already!

Fast Prime,

As somebody mentioned earlier, you might find the search feature of the PDF version of the manual a lot more helpful than the index.

Thanks - I did download it and you are right - much easier than trying to remember where in that thick instruction book I possibly saw what I am looking for today the day before!

Latest threads

Top Bottom