Trying to help my neighbors sell their house...

Took these shots last Sunday with the D700 and 14-24. Put it on a tripod at about waist level and used 95% natural light. The neighbors were pleased and the broker will likely give me some more business on her high-end sales.

This house is going for more than $700K, which is great for New Hampshire in this market. It's the house where Daniel Webster gave his maiden speech before eventually becoming a Massachusetts senator before the Civil War. Every room has a fireplace:

1255359412_fG6rRhT-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1255360983_qPd9JqP-X3.jpg

1255361042_Z6wnZmZ-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done (praise coming from a realtor). I think I would have used HDR in the first image to avoid glare from the windows.

The other photos are on a private site, but here's one more of my favorites. I plan to go back and capture some of the amazing architectural details that this house has as well:

1255360907_4TMw6FJ-X2.jpg

As to HDR, I appreciate the reminder. I usually find the results less sharp than a single shot, though I'm sure it's my technique. Plus, I really should invest in a wireless trigger if I'm going to do HDR seriously.

I was also shooting for a glowing look where the scenery outside of the house was secondary to the inside warmth. The next job I may have next month will be shot closer to sunset so the outside intensity will be far less. Finally, I'm sure that having a few Alien Bees or such would help balance the inside/outside exposure, though I really do prefer natural light whenever possible.

I'll give you a cheater on residential property windows. Tripod, shoot the room, then take a second shot with the exposure dropped right down. Lay the good shot over the lower exposed shot in Photoshop and erase the windows, letting the darker windows show through. I've done that one many times on my listings! :wink: Agreed on the natural lighting.

Those are very nice interior shots. Seems as if you are going to generate some further business in the near future by just doing some work for the Realtor.
Nice trick Sandi, it should come handy when shooting interiors.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Beautiful shots! That really is a nice looking home with some fantastic woodworking. I must say I really like the floors.

Tripod, shoot the room, then take a second shot with the exposure dropped right down. Lay the good shot over the lower exposed shot in Photoshop and erase the windows

Why didn't I think of that? Just have to be pretty good at Photoshop to get the edges right...

Beautiful house and beautiful shots. Very cool flooring for sure. I wonder though, do they have to crawl carefully to the stairs as not to get caught in a crossfire

Hi Raygun, nice job for a first attempt. A couple of suggestions though, raise your camera height for non detail shots like in the first one especially.
These are also a bit to dark you may want to add some fill flash, and unless you can brighten the kitchen dramatically I would re-compose shot #3 to exclude it. Using all ambient light is fine if you shoot HDR but for single exposure work you will need to add lights of some sort. I use a combination of flash and HDR for mine.
The last shot you posted needs to be cropped to remove the black background after you did your verticals correction.
Color corrections also need to be made on Real estate images if you start doing more of this type of work.

Good luck,
Brian

its a beautiful home and is portrayed adequately through your photos. also, its sweet to see the tried and true "you reap what you sow" deal. you help your neighbor and in turn the broker will give you more business. totally sweet!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom