Trying to Help with Katrina

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by EdMac, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Our fire company kicked off a campaign to collect necessities for the victims of Katrina. The community has really responded. One tractor trailer has already arrived in Mississippi, and two more will be on their way in the next day or two. I shot these pictures today, and I thought that I would share them. Comments welcome, as always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice snaps, Ed. It is nice to see your fire company and the community stepping up to help the victims of the Katrina storm. Those folks sustained a tremendous hit and their lives will probably be changed forever. Through support like yours, survivors will bounce back quicker and begin to re-build their lives. Our MABAS division has begun sending firefighter/paramedics (two per department) to the affected region. All personnel participating are commiting to two-week stints. They leave our area in suppression apparatus and support vehicles then meet at a designated location for inocculations and briefings. They are then deployed to various locations most needing of resources. I think it's going to be eye-opening for many of the personnel going down there...there is plenty of death and distruction to deal with. Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Teams will counsel all that participate while in the region and when they return to their respective departments.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Response

Hi Frank,

This all started as an email communication between one of our guys, and a fire deparment in Mississippi. It grew from just our company response to a whole community response. It is great to see how well people have responded.
    We had a meeting last night at which the chief asked for volunteers to go to the affected area. I am not sure how many will sign up. Unfortunately,I am too old to do anything like that. It is going to be very stressful work. The process will be very similar to what you described.

Thanks for your comments

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for all you've done to help out those in need. Just a few days ago I myself went to a local shelter for some displaced families from New Orleans. Heartbreaking it was. I had bags and bags of baby food and clothes and such. It still didn't feel like enough...I plan on making baby blankets and donating them as they are made. What else can we do but help?

6. We went through our house to find anything that might help, and learned this morning that we will have hundreds of "refugees" (call them what you want but they are seeking refuge from the disaster) here...so we are doing what we can here to provide for them directly when they show up.

There is also a few organizations that have gathered to bring truckloads of goods down, mostly toiletries, clothes and alike.

Friday, my site www.photos4humanity.com will be online and ready to go. I am hoping that, although it won't raise short term money, will great long term cash for the Red Cross.

The only shame I see in any of this, is that this is the first disaster in America where those not effect seem to worry more about how it effects politicians than it does survivors. Thank God there are those here and around the world that can look past that and just get what needs to get done, done.

7. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ed, I saw a report on this on the local news the other night. I really have to hand it to your town and especially the fire department. This a good example of helping you fellow man. (I bet you will never see this happening in Moorestown :frown: )

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ed,
    God bless you and all the firefighters and EMT's, volunteers helping.

What can I say.
    I am so sadened by all the events.
    Thank you

9. Great job Ed we can not do enough to help out these unfortunate folks.

10. Help

Hi,
    The magnitude of ths is very large. I am sure that what you have done will certainly impact someones life in a positive manner. Thank you for caring. :smile:

11. Thanks

Hi Dave,
    It only takes one person to start the ball rolling. Ours all started with an email to a sister fire department in Mississippi. You might be surprised at what Moorestown could do. Thanks for your comments. :smile:

12. What can I say?

Hi Gale,
    Thank you for your comments. Please keep all of those volunteers in your prayers.

We have already delivered one tractor trailer of water, food and clothing to Mississippi. There are 3 more being loaded as we speak. Our town folks just keep coming and coming with donations. :smile:

13. Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

It is a great feeling to see people responding the way that they are. :smile:

14. Your site

Hi Josh,

I like what you are doing, and will follow it. Good luck with the site. :smile: