Trying to improve, would love to get feedback: pics of my son

Discussion in 'People' started by vr6veedub, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hello All

As the title says I am trying to improve. I am trying to improve my technique and PP. Any feedback on these photos would be great. Please hurt my feelings if you have to j/k :biggrin:. I am a bit hesitant to post here because of the top notch talent on these forums. Well here goes, they are not much but it's a start. Please feel free to edit any photos listed and repost. Thanks for all the reply

24-70mm (soft copy, exchanged for another copy)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

50mm @ 1.8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18-200mm
    [​IMG]

2. Thats a handsome young man.
    Good pics marc.

3. Thanks Joey, was waiting for the bashing to begin j/k. Now if I can get over the shyness of posting pictures (thinking they will be laughed at.) I just want to learn as much as I can, this photography thing is getting addicting!

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Gotta pop those colors in post-processing. Now I did a very messy job...probably took me all of 15 seconds to do this. But if I were taking my time...it would've taken me a good 2 minutes to pop'em better than this and look believeable. Watch your white balance...his face looks a little blown out. Other than that I think you're doing a great job.

Mine on the LEFT, yours on the Right.

337550683_kvsQ3-XLcopy. View attachment 226035

5. Yea...That looks good esp in the skin tones.

6. Thanks Seneca, was hoping you would reply to my post. I love looking at the pictures you've posted (aka "a fan") Thanks for the good advice. I am always afraid I will make the picture look un-natural by increasing the color saturation. How did you do this excatly?

7. Hi, Marc! You've presented some nice pictures. My favorites were the ones taken with the 50/1.8 and 18-200VR. Since your first copy of the 24-70 was defective, I'm not sure why you bothered to present images take with it. Let's see some from the replacement copy.

8. Thanks for the kind words Frank. I just recently received the new copy. I have not had a chance to take pictures other than "test" pictures around the house. I will post them as I get them.

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Marc - I really like the use of depth of field in the last one and how you have separated subject from background - great shot!

10. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I like the colors better after Seneca made them pop a little. You did a good job with composition, just work on those colors a bit. Keep it up...I love coming to the Nikon Cafe everyday and watching people improve. It really is amazing the progress you can see everyone making.

11. So to make them pop a little would you suggest just increasing the saturation of the color photos? I guess what I am asking is what would be the best way to achieve the better results?

12. Thanks for the kind words Jessica, I guess I'll work on making the colors pop more. What would be the best way to go about this in CaptureNX or PS CS3?

13. Interestingly, in contrast to what others have said my recommendation would be to approach composition a little differently. Then again, photographing children is NOT easy!

14. What would you recommend? I'm open to learning! Please share

15. Aggggh! I was afraid you'd ask that!! OK, I don't have much experience with photographing children and I know it's definitely a difficult endeavor from the get-go..... The first couple of images, for whatever reason, didn't appeal to me as a viewer, especially the second one. As someone who doesn't know the child and therefore doesn't have the same interest as a family member or friend would have, I am just not experiencing a sense of delight at these images. The first image looks too much like a posed snapshot and the second image fails to capture me as a viewer because the child is not engaged with the photographer or the camera and what he is apparently doing is not all that interesting. The later photographs hold much more promise and are more appealing, both in terms of composition and subject interaction with the photographer and camera.

16. I know #1 looks posed, though not. As many people with young children know its hard to keep a 2 1/2 year old still, let alone still for a picture. I do agree with #2, somehow though I missed the opportunity to capture a child being a child. I like looking a pictures where kids are doing what they do, usually it's things us adults see as uninteresting or mundane. Thanks for the insight Connie. Again any comments are welcomed and used to open my mind to this photography "thing"

17. JessP7

JessP7

May 3, 2005
    North MS, USA
    I am sorry that I can't be of much help. I know when I see something that I like, but I am not too good at PP either. I have seen enough pictures on this forum to develop a certain taste and perhaps I may be developing a style...??? who knows! :smile:

I have Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, and while it does a lot of the same things that Photoshop does, I can't begin to tell you where to start with your pictures. Hopefully someone who is a lot better at it than I am will chime in and offer some advice.

Actually, I just posted a thread yesterday a couple of hours before you did asking for advice for myself. :redface:

18. Guess we're in the same boat.

19. Some random comments

1) why crop to 4 x 6? This may make for great 19 cent small prints but will be expensive larger prints as 4 x 5 aspect ratio is pretty much the standard in the US. (Personally, I don't like 4 x 6 in portrait aspect because it doesn't seem to fit the human body very well.)

2) if you want serious critique, post one picture or only pictures that are closely related enough in style that comments will apply to all. Note that everyone here has fixated on the first picture and the rest go without comment.

3) If you want serious critique, don't identify the subject as your son or wife or beloved anything because people will hold back from saying exactly the truth because they don't want to take a chance on hurting your feelings.

4) If you want to be a better photographer, in your learning phase don't take pictures of things that are inherently beautiful (like flowers) or that you have a strong attachment to (like your children) because you will have trouble separating the subject from the worth of the picture.

(I have posted some pictures of my grandchildren and I had no idea whether these were really good or just snaps of the kids I loved.)

5) in re: these pictures.

#1 is well composed and has what the others lack, direct connection with the subject.
    #2 is missing some parts that might make it interesting, there isn't enough to see what the boy is doing nor to make a nice geometric composition of his body.
    #3 and #4 the lack of engagement hurts these.
    #5 could have been great if the eyes were visible above the sunglasses and you didn't truncate the legs at the ankles. i.e. if there was a connection with the boy, there was a hint of the litle boy behind the grownup glasses and we got to see all of him, reinforcing the smallness of him.

6) Good things - exposure is within normal limits, composition is fairly good, all shot from child level (a real plus).

20. thanks traveler these are the kind of comments I was hoping to get. I had one question for you however, what do you mean 4x6 crop on portraits on picture #1? I am assuming you are talking about how I framed the subject correct? Unfortunately I did not crop this photo it is how I shot it. So I guess I framed/composed this one incorrectly. Thanks again for your commets

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.