1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Trying to understand Insurance....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gazruss, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Hi folks.... I know there have been many many threads on camera insurance and peoples preferences but i am yet to get an answer for a problem i might have.

I spoke to my ins company, and they said i was covered on my home policy,
    did not like the uncertainty i got so spoke to another dept. They confirmed that i was covered up to $10k with a $500 deductible. All fine so far except, they said i should make sure to keep proof of ownership. I.E. photographs, serial #'s and original receipts. Serial numbers and photographs are not a problem, BUT receipts maybe. Some items were bought in the UK before i moved to Canada, and i am sure my EX Wife would have surely kept all my receipts safe & sound just waiting to send them to me in a nice rose tinted envelope...... Also some items were purchased on E-Bay and i have never got any form of receipt.

Anybody have any experience with this problem.......

I am soon going on a vacation where i will be taking most of my stuff and i want to be sure before i go

2. I've always found insurance to be extremely simple. There are 2 scenarios:
    1. You pay, they cover.
    2. You loose, they point to fine print. SOL.
    or
    1. You pay, they cover.
    2. You loose, they cover, your rates go up. SOL.
    So, who is the real winner ???:biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, the more documentation you have the better. I'd think you could take the equipment in and have them attest to its presence.

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    well not sure about Canadian Homeowners policies, but here in the states, yes, personal property is covered anywhere in the world as long it is not business. So let say, my son goes to college in the UK, his laptop would be covered. FYI - keep all your receipts, additionally, it don't hurt to take a picture or video of item in the house so that when a claim does arise, you have a record. I would keep those files/videos off site though.

4. Like i said in my post, i have receipts for items i have bought over here EXCEPT paypal. And a lot of my good stuff was bought in the UK before i moved to Canada with no chance of getting my receipts.

5. I take out a rider with my insurance company to cover all my camera gear; bodies;lenses; etc etc. Each identified with a serial number and cost of purchase.
    This extra premium costs about $25 a year. I feel it's worth it to avoid the
    "yes they are normally covered under homeowner's insurance but....." scenario.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.