Trying to work on some lighting again.

Discussion in 'People' started by P'Cola-Roy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. It is always hard when the kids have something else pulling at their attention, to get them to stay still. I was trying to work on lighting position/ratios and my son just wasn't interested. He wanted to go watch TV. I finally got him to run into the studio so I could snap 1 shot during each commercial break. This is one of them.

original.

2. Cute shot Roy, I like it.

3. Gotta love it Roy!!! Well done!

4. Kyle, kids are an abslolute joy.

original.

main on right @ 1:1 (SB800 in umbrella) about 2 ft over head height3 ft distance

fill on left @1:32 (SB800 in umbrella) even w/head 3 ft distance

Ab800 on bg

1/250
    f 5.6

5. Thanks Gordon.

6. Thanks Keith. Although he will lose interest well before I do, he still manages to give me a "look" right before he calls it quits.

7. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Roy, nice lighting work Roy. I like it too.

8. Thanks Edward.

You need to leave that garage cluttered up for a while until she forgets about parking in there. Then close in part of it for a studio. That's what I did :biggrin:

9. Thanks Banhup.

10. Steve, I notice that in many of my images. I guess it's about time I work on an "eye technique".

How's this?

original.

11. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Roy, an issue that has really bugged me lately with a lot of people's shots is the ability to get one eye tack sharp and the other eye looks rather soft. I recommend a change in aperture or possibly a post process method that allows for selective sharpening/blurring so it looks balanced

12. Thanks for the observation James. I'll try to stop down a little more next time. It was shot at f5.6

13. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Roy, I usually go with a f8 up to 11 for a shot that close... some times I will go with a 6.3 though. What was the focal point? I prefer to focus on the eyes instead of the nose which appears to be the focal point.

14. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Good job with the lighting........and the kid!:biggrin:

If this is a crop you *might* try re-cropping with just a bit more breathing room on the bottom. It feels just slightly cramped.

A really great job Roy.....stop down more next time and get a bit stronger catch light......I do agree with these suggestions others have already given you!

Keep 'em coming and.......shame about the garage.

15. I'll start at about 8 next time James.

I try to focus on the eyes also. I went back and checked and it was on the rim of his glassas where it meets the hinge... way off. I must have bumped the focus area selector. Oh well.

16. Thanks Stuart. I'll re-crop it later and see how it looks.

Hey, I like my garage now:wink:

17. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Right...sorry.....I read Edwards response and *he* has the wife with the new car etc.... My bad!:redface:

18. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    No worries. I'll let you know if I ever hit the image perfectly the way I want. Might be a while though so don't hold your breathe

19. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

great lighting...