TTArtisan native Z fisheye

Real Name
Paul
Real Name
John Van Atta
I'd be shocked if "native" means anything beyond the mechanical mount, but not having to have any adapters is nice. The Samyang m43 fisheye was optically pretty decent--if this is comparable, it'd be worth the asking price.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
An old Nikon 16 with the FTZ adaptor? I picked up a perfect copy for €390. At least you can find reviews on line.

But I agree this might be an interesting lens. Samyang do a nice MF fisheye too.

I have an old cheap junk box Sigma 16mm fisheye. It was unusable unless stopped down to F16. But fine for €50.

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
An old Nikon 16 with the FTZ adaptor? I picked up a perfect copy for €390. At least you can find reviews on line.

But I agree this might be an interesting lens. Samyang do a nice MF fisheye too.

I have an old cheap junk box Sigma 16mm fisheye. It was unusable unless stopped down to F16. But fine for €50.
What is the situation with the old screw-drive lenses with the FTZ? Presumably it's just a case of have to MF? Does the EXIF and aperture work automatically?

Real Name
Paul
Well, I ordered the TTArtisan lens. I found a seller in France selling it new at £185 - so no import duty issues from China (and we're still in the EU exit transition period, so nothing from France either). At that price, it's worth a punt (and in any case, there's a 14-day return period).

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
What is the situation with the old screw-drive lenses with the FTZ? Presumably it's just a case of have to MF? Does the EXIF and aperture work automatically?
No only manual focus works. So getting an old Ai version might be the best bet.

I will use mine on my D800 that I kept for screw drive lenses.

Lets us know how the Artisan lens works out.

Real Name
John Van Atta
I think the big issue is that MF only on a screwdrive autofocus lens is an unpleasant/sloppy experience, since the damping is all wrong (too loose). Pure manual is generally nicer in comparison.

The FTZ doesn’t have some of the aperture feeler hardware Nikons DSLRs have either. I’m not familiar enough with all the versioning know what that means for what lens generation though.

Real Name
Paul
I think the big issue is that MF only on a screwdrive autofocus lens is an unpleasant/sloppy experience, since the damping is all wrong (too loose). Pure manual is generally nicer in comparison.

The FTZ doesn’t have some of the aperture feeler hardware Nikons DSLRs have either. I’m not familiar enough with all the versioning know what that means for what lens generation though.
Thanks John - being a noob with Nikon I do find all the various lens types a bit confusing. I'm surprised that Nikon didn't make the FTZ the same functional level as the higher-end DSLRs. It would make legacy lens compatibility much simper.

Real Name
John Van Atta
Yeah, there's plenty of D series lens owners that wish that too. Myself, I reflect on how it cost--was it $250?--new MSRP, and how there's the annoying bulge for the tripod screw and presumably some of the compatibility stuff, and really wish it was smaller and rounder.

So, maybe they needed to make two. But aside from the SKU proliferation, they'd be tempted to cut things like weather sealing from the cheaper one, which would annoy me again :)

I imagine the feeling of relief at Nikon engineering for finally being able to clean-sheet all the legacy hacks away with the Z was immense.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I picked up a used Sigma 15mm fish - fully auto focus. Love it! $350-400! Why mess with unknown off brands?

Real Name
Andrew
I picked up a used Sigma 15mm fish - fully auto focus. Love it! $350-400! Why mess with unknown off brands?
well, first off exploration of the unknown can be fun. Secondly, depending on your aesthetic, these off brand lenses can often have a unique character or rendering to them.

I got one of those Russian Biotar lenses that I use for portraiture. Way cheaper than forking over $800 for a Lomo petzval and the Lensbaby lenses just always seemed so confusing.

sometimes you find that diamond amongst all the coal.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom