1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tube Surfing on Sunapee

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by raygun, Jul 6, 2008.

1. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    A little tube surfing on Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire, as well as some portraits and a shot of Steven Tyler's (Aerosmith) house:

All shot with D300 and 85mm f/1.4

LAX_9604.

LAX_9618.

LAX_9635.

LAX_9711.

LAX_9731.

LAX_9743.

LAX_9787.

LAX_9793.

LAX_9818.

LAX_9820.

LAX_9837.

LAX_9838.

LAX_9839.

LAX_9843.

LAX_9868.

LAX_9892.

LAX_9936.

LAX_9935.

2. Beautiful shots, the colors are great and the action portrayed brings back some fantastic memories of sledding behind my grandfather's boat (before they had cool innertubes like this!).

I'm impressed that Tyler has his flag oriented correctly (the one hanging vertically).....so many get that wrong! :smile:

3. Cameron

Cameron Guest

That just looks like so much fun.
    Super focus and love the facial expressions.
    Great shots.

4. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Gretchen and Cameron

I believe Steven (Stephen?) Tyler has groundskeepers who probably hung the flag, and watch the property...

5. awesome action
    looks like the driver of that boat really knows how to increase the FUN FACTOR of tubing
    well done on both of your parts

as for #17
    if only Liv was outside, sunning herself..... :Love::Love::Love::Love::Love:

6. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Greg-

The driver is in picture 14. The madman in him is what makes tubing fun! His boat will easily go 40mph with these tubes in tow (my son holds the record of 44mph), so when they get air, things get quite interesting...

7. Great shots Jeff, I like Sunapee...Winnipesaukee gets all the headlines, but there are some other awesome lakes up there...Newfound Lake for example...

8. Never knew tubing was a contact sport, nice impact in 12

9. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Chris and Brooks

The people who owned the boat were originally on Squam, then moved to Sunapee, then to Winipisaukee, then back to Sunapee, where they will likely stay...

As to being a contact sport, just falling off the tube at 35mph can feel like hitting concrete (from what they tell me)... Bumping heads is minor stuff relatively speaking!:smile:

10. Wow.. looks like they have great fun hitting the water with 40 mph.Bashing each others face.Thank God its only 40mph,so it doesnt hurt a bit.Very responsable act.
    I would ad a few extra tubes so the hit factor is a bit higher.Makes great crash pictures
    Perhaps a idea to have your tubes sponsored by a insurance company, Hospital,Dentist or Undertaker?

11. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Nice shots Jeff, but don't the lakes up there stay frozen year ound? :cool: 

12. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Acena and Rob

This year even the ice at the north pole will be all melted. That's really good news for "down south" since we don't even have to contend with icebergs in the lakes this year!

As to the danger of cracking heads, these boys all play sports in at least two or more of: football, soccer, lacrosse, skateboarding, snowboarding, biking, and have already brokens bones and teeth, but never their adventurous spirit! Plus, they say that the worst accidents are ones where the two vehicles are driving at very different speeds. Since both tubes are going 30, the danger is almost negligible...:smile:

13. WOW great looks like they had a blast great job maintaining focus

14. Nice shots.

15. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Mike and Allstar!

Maintaining focus was no more difficult than maintaining focus on the back of a bucking bronco! I finally realized that I could not hold the camera to my face, and instead had to hold it about 1 inch from my nose to keep it from being broken (the nose, that is). I used 9pt AF, AF-ON, and went for wide aperture and high ss. I also used a polarizing filter as the light was too bright for the D300 and the f/1.4 lens. That's what gives that water that black-and-foreboding-quality!

And Allstar, you certainly get a break for getting into this racket at the tender age of 16! If you learn anything here, you'll be way ahead of the curve when you hit the pros (or are you already a pro?)...:smile:

16. Ehh Sunapee... Winnipesaukee when you get a boat up to Lake in the Clouds let me know.... lol.

Anyways first time for me there, what a great hike. Will show pics once i create the panos.

17. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Thanks Geoff

You are correct, Newfound is great, Squam is a beauty, and there are hundreds of others tucked away in the pines and hills...

How did you happen to find yourself in New Hampshire? Are you a native or did you come on vacation? We're in S. NH where it is relatively flat (the ice age smoothed it all out and left a lot of sand), but the northern White Mountains (where we're going Friday) are spectacular! Not like the Rockies or Alps or Caucassus, or Ballyhoura's, but we love 'em...:smile:

18. I camp up in Crwaford Notch with my wife 2-3 times a year, just got back from a week over the 4th. We drive up from central MA so we are somewhat local. She used to camp there as a kid and I never pass down a chance to camp and make photos of a great place. Next year we hike Crawford path with the Presidents.

We hiked Mt Tom (what a view), and to Lake of the Clouds (after driving up Washington Auto Rd.). Got some great shots all week.

Been an annual thing for us for about 4 years now. Always love getting away from the hustle and relaxing and doing some landscapes.

19. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Those are some awesome action shots. They are having blast. Did you go see if Steven was home to come out and go tubing.

20. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    Steven Tyler on cover of Boom magazine...

I don't know why I got the premier copy of Boom magazine (AARP Membership maybe), but Steven Tyler is on the cover. A number of shots in the article look like they came from his house on Sunapee. Here's one from my friend's place across the water:

LAX_9946.
    NIKON D300    ---    85mm    f/3.5    1/200s    ISO 200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.