Critique Tulips! (Z7ii)

I visited Holland, Michigan to photograph some tulips earlier this week. Here are some from my trip:

1- I used the focus shift feature of the Z7ii to keep everything in the frame in sharp focus for this picture.
2021-05-03 michigan-13.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- For this one, I took two images...one at f/14 (for the front) and one at f/2.8 (for the back). Even at f/2.8 I wasn't all that pleased with the bokeh. So, I intentionally set the lens to be out of focus and took another exposure. I used the out of focus exposure and the f/14 exposure and blended them in Photoshop to hopefully get the best of both worlds in one frame.
2021-05-03 michigan-96.jpg

3- Another picture using the focus shift feature...
2021-05-03 michigan-60.jpg

3- A blend of two different apertures to capture different levels of sharpness in the foreground and background elements...
2021-05-03 michigan-76.jpg

4- Yet another aperture blend...
2021-05-03 michigan-81.jpg

5- For this one, I spun the 70-200 2.8 on its tripod ring...
2021-05-03 michigan-106.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

it prompts me to take more time to appreciate the things around me.
I agree. You are basically paraphrasing a famous quote from Dorothea Lange:
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."
I have found that to be very true. Even walking with friends I will stop and look at light, shadows, wind---they don't see it until I point it out.
Your camera taught you very very well.
gary

Real Name
Mike
Nice. #2 has a nice blend of depth, bokeh, color, and artistic imagery. #1 in a nice informative location photo.
#3 is too compressed and sharpened. #4 looks soft and distracting from not enough bokeh. #5 is for '60s hippies.
Just my 2¢.

Nice. #2 has a nice blend of depth, bokeh, color, and artistic imagery. #1 in a nice informative location photo.
#3 is too compressed and sharpened. #4 looks soft and distracting from not enough bokeh. #5 is for '60s hippies.
Just my 2¢.
Thanks Mike...I agree with your comments. I'm a little surprised that f/2.8 with the telephoto lens didn't blur the background flowers more (but that's mostly just a mathematical reality).

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom