1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tundra Express

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by SteveK, Aug 3, 2008.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    An abandoned narrow gauge railroad sits in the tundra near Solomon, a historic mining area near Nome, Alaska.

[​IMG]

2. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Steve,
    That is cool...I love the colors.

3. wow there have to be some stories there...

4. Nicely captured. Some of those clouds almost appear to be coming from the old smokestacks.

5. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Yea, I'm sure there are plenty of stories in that region!

Thanks

I only had one day in that area (I'd flown into Nome with some friends, and they needed to get back), but I lucked into enough foreground light to make it work.

6. I love "patchy" light days like you show in this shot, Steve - what a cool place to see!

Sean

7. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice shot. Looks like a wonderful place to explore and photograph.

8. Hi Steve,

It seems quite unusual to see three engines and no railcars. Were they nearby or maybe rusted away?

Bob & Nan

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Yea, I like the patchy light too, Sean. Makes for more drama than pure blue sky days.

Yes, it was fun going around the area around Nome. We rented a car, and explored the road system.

Bob, there were a few sets of wheels lying around. I suspect the cars (which would have been ore cars) were more easily taken apart and used for other purposes than the old engines. Most of the track was gone as well.

10. steve
    awesome shot
    would love to see more, if you have them

that is really something
    thanks for sharing

11. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    I really, really like this shot! Very well done.

12. I notice you have a "1990" watermark on it, do you know if the abandoned trains are still around?

13. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    As far as I know they are. These were used in the early part of the 1900's, and the railroad was destroyed by storms in 1913. Solomon was a small town during the gold rush times on the Seward Peninsula, but there are no inhabitants there now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.