Tunnel Boat Races...

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by shadow, Jul 16, 2007.

1. This weekend was the Riverfront Roar in Marietta OH, with Formula 2 and 3 tunnel boats. Some captures...

In these races it often comes down to the start, who gets off the dock and gets to the first set of turns first.
    [​IMG]

The start from a different vantage point, from the bridge spanning the river. #40 and #80 went on to lead all 20 laps until the last turn of the last lap when the #80 boat tried to make a move and spun out.

[​IMG]

Into the turn

[​IMG]

Out of the turn and hit the throttle

[​IMG]

Catch me if you can?
    [​IMG]

Down the stretch they come

[​IMG]

Dejection...

[​IMG]

This driver had his share of trouble this weekend. In qualifying he was leading his heat race and got hung up in lapped traffic which cost him valuable dock position and points. Then in the finals he started too early and got a lap penalty only to roll his boat in one of the turns and not finish the race.

All pictures shot with the Nikon 70-300 VR (beauty lens I picked up from Woody (Czechman) on the FS forum. Its a nice lens to use.

Thanks for looking, comments are always welcome.

2. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Nice pics. Looks like you had a great vantage point.

3. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Cool pics. Do you ever go to the races in Madison, IN?

4. Nope. I can't say that I'm a big fan or anything like that. They have been coming to Marietta for 7 years now and are starting to make a real event out of the whole thing (entertainment and fireworks this year). My girlfriend and I go down and watch when they are here but really don't pay much attention after they leave town.

5. Really nice shots. I can "feel" the race. Sharpness and water color, in particular, are outstanding.

6. Thanks for the comments guys, I do appreciate it.