Turkey on the Roof

Discussion in 'Birds' started by PhotoByMark, Jul 16, 2005.

1. I thought these turkeys were just being silly. It is funny to watch them prepare for the flight to the roof. Sometimes it can take 30 minutes or more of them pacing back and forth before they take flight.

26313790_1c7d4ea864_o.
    26313758_2e012ebe7f_o.
    26313738_ca6a6c9e6a_o.

2. And what the heck do they do once they get there? :)

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Probably wait for someone to walk up under them to take their picture, then 'bomb' them.

4. Actually they are getting ready for sleepy time. They sleep in trees and other structures up off the ground. These were taken at near dark. They will bombs away if they get a chance though. And apparently swings are also on their list of things to hang out on.

BTW - I am really starting to like RAW. Some of these pics I thought were wasted - That is, extremely underexposed but loaded them up anyway in NC3 and was able to salvage some decent pics. Had I used jpg I do not think they would have come out very well at all.

26454584_09033e3d95_o.

5. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Mark:

I find this series particularly interesting. I had no idea these birds could fly more than a few feet off the ground. We've got them around here and I often wondered where they went at night, seeing as to how we have numerous coyotes in the area as well. The photo of the turkey on the swingset is a classic! :D

6. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Don't forget that Ben Franklin nominated the turkey for the national bird.

Big difference between domesticated and wild varieties.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good catches Mark. These guys are usually human-shy. Glad to see that you've switched to RAW. I was a hold-out too for a while, but wouldn't shoot any other way now.