1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Turkey Vulture Invades the Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I was driving home from work the other night and saw this huge Turkey Vulture sitting on top of a house in the neighborhood next to ours. Of course I stopped and pulled out my D50 which had my Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 lens attached to it. I should have switched to the 70-300 VR, but I was afraid I'd miss the photo op and have the bird fly off. Unfortunately it was overcast and the lighting sucked, and I had the camera set to f/2.8 when I should have bumped it to at least F4 or more as these turned out really dark. Whatever though, I was in a hurry and tried to save them in post processing. Here is one of it sitting on the roof:

[​IMG]

And then it took off as soon as I edged a bit closer and this was the best "in-flight" shot I was able to get (highly processed as it was very dark when I opened it in NX).
    [​IMG]

One day I'll get a good picture of one of these fellas...

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those pics are fine. Especially that flight shot
    good work

3. Good catch Dave, nice!

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Gale, Frits, and Louie. One day I'll figure out how to actually adjust the settings as I'm taking the shots though. I think I just get too excited when I actually see something like this nowadays though! :biggrin:

5. LOL I know how you feel, great shots!

6. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks John....all of the wildlife around here is very skittish and not prone to getting their picture taken...you'd think I was the paparazzi the way they act. :biggrin:

7. You have much better looking vultures than we have Ours are blacker and rather scragly looking. Nice set

8. midi

midi Guest

Ahahaha, brilliant. I know exactly how you feel. :smile:

9. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    If you really want some close shots let me know and I will dump some fish heads out and you can get within 30 feet and shoot them playing football with a fish head. Mother killdeer is still on eggs as is mother duck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.