Turkey Vulture Invades the Neighborhood

I was driving home from work the other night and saw this huge Turkey Vulture sitting on top of a house in the neighborhood next to ours. Of course I stopped and pulled out my D50 which had my Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 lens attached to it. I should have switched to the 70-300 VR, but I was afraid I'd miss the photo op and have the bird fly off. Unfortunately it was overcast and the lighting sucked, and I had the camera set to f/2.8 when I should have bumped it to at least F4 or more as these turned out really dark. Whatever though, I was in a hurry and tried to save them in post processing. Here is one of it sitting on the roof:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And then it took off as soon as I edged a bit closer and this was the best "in-flight" shot I was able to get (highly processed as it was very dark when I opened it in NX).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One day I'll get a good picture of one of these fellas...

Thanks Gale, Frits, and Louie. One day I'll figure out how to actually adjust the settings as I'm taking the shots though. I think I just get too excited when I actually see something like this nowadays though! :biggrin:

M

midi

all of the wildlife around here is very skittish and not prone to getting their picture taken...you'd think I was the paparazzi the way they act. :biggrin:

Ahahaha, brilliant. I know exactly how you feel. :smile:

If you really want some close shots let me know and I will dump some fish heads out and you can get within 30 feet and shoot them playing football with a fish head. Mother killdeer is still on eggs as is mother duck.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom