Turned down by Maxpreps...bummer.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dennis Carter, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    I thought, "What the heck, why not?" So I submitted an app to Maxpreps. The app requires at least 6 photos and here were my submissions. The letter said that my app was rejected due to exposure and noise.

So, I'd love to have any feedback y'all have time to offer.

Yep, this one is noisy. I should have known better than to submit or, at least, attempted noise reduction.

676446936_d970b511b3_b.

The next 4 pics? I dunno. Suggestions welcome.

View attachment 103540

View attachment 103541

676446726_089eecfe3c_b.

View attachment 103543

This is the only one that I think might, just MIGHT, a bit underexposed.

View attachment 103544

Best,
    Dennis

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I do not know how to embed from flicker.
    Contact a mod, they will help you.

I looked at your images.
    I have no answers for you.
    Nice sport action.

I am not familiar with maxpreps either.

3. just put your images into IMG tags, or click the little picture icon (looks like a little mountain for me) then put the link in the popup. I put little "x"s in the IMG tags so the tags show up and not the picture (FYI).

Code:
    [xIMGx]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1208/676446650_6f64492cb0_b.jpg[x/IMGx]
    676446650_6f64492cb0_b.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Here you go........

5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    I've been mulling this over. Perhaps my problem, or at least, ONE problem, is consistency of exposures, especially the track pics.

Now, the 3 track pics were taken on different days and different times of the day which contributes to the inconsistency. But, in order to achieve some consistency (I can't stop saying that word "consistency"!! LOL), I guess shooting manual and maintaining the same f-stop, ISO and SS would help. But what if you move from shooting the pole vault in direct sun to the shot put in the shade? Is this where using the exposure comp comes into play?

Obviously, I grasping at straws now and have no clue what I'm talking about. Any thoughts are welcomed.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Your images aren't bad, they might have benefitted from some different exposure settings, but the images just aren't bad. Maxpreps probably turned you down for your current camera equipment and not because of the images that you placed on your application. A company like Maxpreps prefers their shooters to have higher resolution camera bodies than yours which will allow them to enlarge an image to poster size. The second thing to realize is your longest focal length is 200mm, I think that they would want their shooters to have a 300mm f/2.8 lens available as well as a TC. Companies like Maxpreps don't mind a little cropping, but cropping much more than that will deteriorate the quality of the images at some point.

So, don't hang your head, keep shooting to build your expertise and your portfolio...and keep saving for camera gear that will satisfy their minimum requirements.

7. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Thanks for the input, Frank! Mucho appreciated.

Yeah, the idea that my equipment might be an issue has entered my mind. To that end, I've been thinking about, and researching, the D2H or maybe a D1X. I'm sure the D2X would be king here, but I'm certainly not in that league yet.

Regardless, I'll continue shooting, studying, analyzing, shooting, studying,....

8. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Read the MaxPreps equipment requirements carefully. I do not think the D2Hs meets their criteria. The pole vault pic, btw, is also underexposed.

While MaxPreps is a very good organization, you can make as much or more on your own if you are willing to spend some time on sales and marketing.

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I agree that your last 2 pictures are underexposed...and they could all use some noise reduction done on them. I just spent less than a couple of minutes on the last two and brightening them up really helps, I think.

10. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Great feedback! Thanks, all!

Yeah, as I look again at the last 2 track shots, I'm thinking, geeezzzz, of course they are too dark. What was I thinking when I submitted?