Turning lemons into lemonade

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My 1st studio portrait shoot with my D2x got cancelled (postponed) today, and needless to say, after waiting and anticipating this shoot for a week and 1/2, I was very bummed out. So, after stewing about it for 1/2 hr, I decided to go to the pond at the park, just to blow off some steam. Actually had a good time, and got some good flight shot practice in. Here's a few, all shot w/D2x/200-400VR:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

A few more like these (and Jim's owl shots), and I'm going to have to quit looking. You guys are driving me nutz!! STOP IT!!!!

Nice shots.... :wink:

Frank

3. Nice the forst oen is so sharp looks like you made a good choice to blow off some steam.

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Steve...I love the wing extensions on the goose :)

By the way..did you pull a FRANK and bait the suckers to get all the gulls piled up like that?

Jim

5. Sorry to hear about that Steve. :( :( :( :( :(

I like the second shot of the gliding goose!! :) :) :)

6. Hi Steve,

Some really nice lemons you have here (D2X + 200-400VR)!! :lol: I think the first shot is just great and the others are not half-bad either. It was well worth steaming! :p

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Excellent results Steve. My fav would be the Mallard landing as you've caught such a great moment so well.

Neil

8. Steve,
    I really like #1 shot.

PS. Maybe you should have those studio portrait shoot postponed more often...... joking :)

9. Very impressive work, Steve! It's the first time I can recall seing bird pics from you, but I hope it's not the last.

One somber note, though. Is that a dust bunny to the left of the Canada Goose?

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks everyone! A reply to all:

Frank, Even though it was only 31f out, I could bear to sit in the house. Being the type that hates getting cold, I put on a coat, hat & gloves, and went for it. Had to return to the car twiceto warm up, as my gloves were wowefully inadequate!

Mike, Thanks, it was good to get outside for some fresh air and practice my flight shooting skills. Ws a nice change of pace.

Jim, There were several ppl out there throwing out bread & such, so all I had to do was set up about 150ft away, and try to catch one as it flew past!

Brian, The goose was coming in looking for a place to land, so he wasn't too hard to get a lock on! Hopefully, I'll still get to do that portait shoot today or tomorrow.

Philippe, Thanks, I initially shot in jpg Lg Fine, but switched over to raw+jpg med normal, after noticing that I had the 4GB card in. The Groupd shot isn't as sharp as the others, and that's one of the jpg fines. Probably just didn't get a good lock on it. I even went so far as to do a save as a tif 1st before adjusting it, and then reducing it for web.
    Neil, thanks, those darn duck really are hard to catch in flight, as they never glide unless they're coming in for a landing! With such short wingspans, they always gotta go full out just to stay airborne!

Jay, thanks, so far #1's my fave too. The detail at full res is pretty outstanding. Bet he was only 50ft away for that one. Still gotta finish culling through all the shots I took. I started doing single shots, then 5 fps, then finally settled on 3 fps.

Frank, You gotta be kidding me, man! ;) I checked my pbase "Feathers" gallery, and I have a whopping 29 MBs of shots there, *all* of which got posted on DPR at 1 time or another! As for the spot, thanks, I'll have to check that out. Could be a d bunny or just a speck on the lens. I did notice it initially, but then forgot to deal with it later in PS. Afterall, my "Deadwood" was just starting, and I didn't want to miss that! Love that show, and this episode didn't!

Paul, I've never really stopped doing birds shot, I just took a fork in the road over the winter for my studio efforts, which I have to admit, I do like a little better than birding, since I'd rather photograph people than birds. It's an extreme challege in it's own right, just like birding. That said, it's still good fun and a real challenge to go for the birdie! But, with Winter upon us in N. Indiana, there's not a lot of feathered creatures around her, unless you want to risk getting frostbite! And cleaning the sensor is a piece of cake, I've done it many times on my other cams. Once the materials are in place, it's 5 min max from start to finish. I even made my own spatula, according to Copperhill's great instructions! A good tight wrap of the Pec Pad onto the spat, secured with a piece of scotch tape, a couple drops of Eclipse, and sim salla bim, it's over before you know it. I always do mine twice, (w/new pad), just to be sure!

12. Excellent job Steve. You have captured these images at the peak of action and maintained good focus and color. Thanks for sharing.