Turtle ID please

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by dossy, Apr 15, 2018.

1. My husband and I were having breakfast with friends in Wellington, FL this morning when this guy (or girl) came out of their back yard lake and slowly moved towards the screened porch. I found pics of soft-shelled turtles, but this one's nose seems shorter and rounder. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

1. Desantis41518-31-L.

2. Desantis41518-30-L.

Thanks for looking!

2. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    We call them a softshell turtle.

3. It appears to be a Florida softshell turtle, Apalone ferox. The nose does appear a bit odd for the species.

The one in Nebraska is a different species.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  4. Thanks Brad! Pictures of the Florida softshell turtle were the closest to this one, but they seemed to have longer, more pointed noses. This one must be just a variation. Much appreciated!

5. So it's not just me! It looks closest to the softshell, but the face is definitely different. I've been looking through images on the net, and none of them matches this one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Definately a nose issue. Should be longer. Interesting.

7. Mutant :eek:  ???

8. Mutant ninja turtles?????

9. I think you're on to something, Beagledog!

10. Without the teenage or ninja.

11. (y)(y)(y)

12. So the secret is out. It is the ninjas in disguise: Leonasal, Duckatello, and MichaelIbis....
    Desantis41518-17-L.

13. To be a little less stupid with this, I cropped a more front view, and it appears that this little guy (or girl) was somehow damaged, and managed to heal without the elongated nose.

Desantis41518-28C-XL.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.