Tutorial request for making gradients in Photoshop CC

I've reviewed several tutorials about how to make and apply a gradient in Photoshop CC including one by Adobe's Julieanne Kost and one on the official Adobe website. The problem is that they are out of date enough that Photoshop no longer does things exactly as explained in the tutorial. Any recommendations about up-to-date tutorials would be appreciated.

Have you tried searching and restricting the time period for the results? In Google click Tools at the top right.
Still may not have recent enough results though.

Real Name
Alex

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm simply trying to create a layer that is a black-to-grey gradient. My problem is that whether I switch to ACR to manually make one or create one using a Gradient Fill layer in Photoshop, I get noticeable banding. That's true even when I enable dithering when using the latter method.
Work in 16 bit mode, then you won't get banding.
On the PS menu: Image/Mode/16 bits

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Your video card/driver/monitor almost certainly only supports 8 bit so that may be the limitation you are seeing. If you print it, I don't think you will see banding. (No, 32 bit will do nothing to help you.)

What are you actually trying to do? Is this actual blackness that you seek, or a layer mask with blackness?

Maybe i'm not completely undestanding but can you create an empty layer and then with your colors set to default "D" (black as foreground and white as background) Using the gradient tool, drag a gradient over that empty layer. Then using command T (transform) shape or move that gradient

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I did exactly the above, which is an easy way to do it. I did it in 8 bit mode. The banding is still very slight, most people wouldn't notice it.
So we can be sure we are talking about the same thing I have made the .psd file and the ,jpg file available for you to download.
They are 5000 pixels wide by 3000 pixels high and sRGB.
If these look OK to you then we can try to work out why yours didn't look good.
(Is your monitor calibrated?)
Black-grey.jpg
Black-grey.psd

Apologies that it has taken so long to get back to everyone, as I got caught up in a project that took a lot longer than I could have imagined.

create an empty layer and then with your colors set to default "D" (black as foreground and white as background) Using the gradient tool, drag a gradient over that empty layer.
I did exactly the above, which is an easy way to do it. I did it in 8 bit mode.

Unfortunately, I still get banding that is immediately noticeable. This isn't worth anyone spending any more time on, as I've never needed to do this in the past and don't have any reason to think I'll need to do it in the future. That's because it's generally not my style of photography.

Even so, thanks for all your help!

Latest threads

Top Bottom