1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Twin lens reflex

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by artona, Jul 22, 2008.

1. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    I know its not a nikon but I was just watching a TV program based in the 70s and there was a sports photographer at a boxing match being justled and pushed as he tried to catch the action.

I bet he caught the action perfectly, sweat flying, teeth flying - all exposed perfectly and cuttingly sharp.

There was no Nikon D3 with a 28mm-300mm f1.2 super autofocus, super exposure super everything. He did not even have an SLR. He was shooting with a Mamiya 330 and a metz 402 flash gun. Anyone else remember them :biggrin::biggrin:

stew

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    TLRs are a blast! Check out our Film forum where there are a couple members actively shooting them.

3. I still have one,although I must admit it has been a very long time since I used it. Hard part is finding a lab that does 620.

4. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Eventually I'm going to start collecting a few of them along with a few rangefinder and other film cameras, just to have them. I'm just a big kid, but it's not going up my nose or otherwise being unwisely spending.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    620 is the exact same film as 120, but on slightly smaller spools. You can respool the film from a 120 roll onto a 620 roll, then back onto the 120 roll for machine finishing. Here is a web page that tells you all about it:

http://personal.cfw.com/~cdwilcox/F_620.html

6. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    I remember when I started work in 1978 I needed a twin lens reflex and so I askd the chief photographer if he had one. I was a bit wary when he said come around to mh house little boy lol but I took a chance.

When I got there he took me to his bedroom - now I got worried but he opened a wardrobe and inside there was at least fifty, mostly Rollieflexs. As the paper went over to 35mm he just took the old ones home.

A few years I saw a press report to say he had died. I wondered then if his children had discovered the stash if it was still there

7. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    My Rolleiflex is one of my favourite cameras to shoot with, I prefer it to the D3 sometimes. Check my Flickr for my photos.

8. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    simmilar

Wow,
    Very close to what I experienced at just about the same time, amazing. It left me with a great love for daily newspapers!

9. Owned a Rollie from mid 1960s to the mid 1970s when as a poor newly wed, had to sell it. It was an extremely sharp camera but I seldom used it. Had my Nikon F and liked the interchangeable lens capabilities.

10. Oldman

Oldman Guest

Had the exact camera years ago. Great camera. I still have about a thousand slides taken with it.

Dwight

11. I still have my 1954 Rollei and I got some great images from it. I rarely use it now; I'm spoiled by digital post-processing. But maybe next weekend......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.