Twins that Never Were!

My great-great-niece just turned two recently and is typical for that age behavior-wise. Her mom and the little one visited us for dinner tonight. I thought that it might be fun to remind my great-niece to be thankful for having just one two year-old rather than a pair. So the baby and I vanished into another part of the house to allow me to take a photo. The little one (oddly enough) was the "perfect" little model just long enough for me to snap off a pair of shots to make a clone photograph of her and "her evil twin." It is amazing to me that a two year-old can follow directions so well when THE PARENTS ARE NOT IN THE ROOM! :smile: Our family found the photo amusing and all wanted me to print them a copy.

Thanks for looking. Oh yes, I had the D3 with a 24-70mm F2.8 mounted on a tripod, SB-800, and used a remote release.

L3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I forgot to mention that Seneca was kind enough a while ago to explain to me how to accomplish proper cloning using PS. Thanks Seneca.

Regards,

Ohhh wow I thought these were twins...:eek: Wow great job there. You're more than welcome!

She's got that twinkle in her eye that says "wait 'til I turn 12!"

Arg! :smile:

Nice photo and idea. Your lighting is great, was there any shadows that were cloned out?

Thank you Charles. I was shooting about 12' away from her and used a SB-800 mounted on the RSS Wedding mount with the cloudy Gary Fong diffuser on the SB-800. Also had the cloudy end cap on the Fong unit and the flash tilted at about 45 degs to wash the background at a somewhat lower light level than on the child. No shadows were cloned out; however, if you look carefully at the right-side child image (from camera point of view) you can see a slight shadow she cast upon the wall to her left. When I looked at the two images, I decided that the one having the child sitting in the left chair would be the basis image and the clone would be added to it. I then used the lasso tool to cut her out of the second image while taking care to include such features as her shadow to give that real appearance. Hope that explains the process. This isn't something I often do, but hold back for just those special moments where it works. I will be shooting a wedding (which I dislike doing because folks are so uptight) for a family friend in November. We have already decided on making a panoramic image of the entire group of folks attending (as if I really can herd cats!). I have suggested to the bride that we try to find a location (before the wedding) of special importance to them where we can make a photograph with them in three poses suitable for cloning. Although I have some ideas where to shoot it, it will be their decision (with maybe a little guidance) of course. :Unsure:

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards,

Latest threads

Top Bottom