Twins with the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.4

For quite a while I have wanted to get a good photo of the twins together. When I get out the studio lights, it freaks them out!! There is no chance to get a photo of them that way. So yesterday I decided to try Trish's suggestion and put them on my bed. One problem, I should have cleaned up the background first. But, I will try again when someone is there to help me. I was too afraid one of them would fall off. I think it will work.

So here is my test shot. Thanks for the idea, Trish. It's a good way to confine them. I'm definitely going to try for a better one later.

The D200 does have some noise in these indoor shots with no flash, but I feel it is pretty easily controlled with selective application of NX2 noise reduction.

I'll take any and all suggestions for good techniques on photographing twin toddlers--especially super active ones!!

Taken with the 50 1.4 at f2.0

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is one I got of the twins with the 85 1.4 at f 2.5. They do love their Binkies--blue for Brigham and green for Brighton--everyone in the family knows that!! I had to confine them on a chair to get this one.

View attachment 226621

Very cute shots! The 50mm got them both in focus better than the 85. Tough to get them on the same plane..., maybe stop down a little more?
Fred

Terri, Very, very good!! They are just way too cute!
Just follow the light when shooting...if you had been shooting so that their faces were looking towards the right..looks too like you would have been more to the right...the light would have hit both faces. Your setup there looks the same as mine so you have to be careful to not block the light or create shadow..make sense?

I got the 17-55 today...and the next one up will be the 85 1.4 I still LOVE the 50 1.4 for tight shots.

Binky's! oh how I can relate...my grandchildren aren't twins but 2 mos apart and are constantly stealing binky's and sippy cups from each other...color coding may help but I believe they just want what the other has...
I look forward to more shots Terri!:smile:

The first one is darn close to perfect IMO. The second is typical of my experience with the 85 1.4 when shooting multiple children with wide apertures - one child in focus, and one OOF. I found that the 85 was just not cut out for shooting children on the go, and esp not for shooting multiple children on the go. I guess my suggestion regarding the 85 1.4 and the "super active ones" would be expect mostly missed shots. I did get some of the magic bokeh images, but very very few.

I sold my 85 :frown:. I really miss it, but since I shoot my children more than anything else, it didn't make sense to keep it.

I've only owned the 50 1.8 which I find much more forgiving, but I don't know if that translates to the 50 1.4. :smile:

Terri, I own both the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 (sorry Frede, I'm taking care of it for you and my little Sophia is loving it). I often think about selling the 50 1.4 and just using the 85, but then I can get much tighter with the 50 at times and it is quite small and light if I want a small walking around setup on late evenings or indoor events, etc. And if I break the 50 it only costs me an arm as opposed to an arm and leg of the 85 1.4. ;) Loved the shots and keep up the good work!! If I had to choose one to start with, I'd start with the 50 cause then the 85 will still seem like an improvement. Whereas if you start with the 85, I feel not many other lenses can live up to its quality.

Terri, Very, very good!! They are just way too cute!
Just follow the light when shooting...if you had been shooting so that their faces were looking towards the right..looks too like you would have been more to the right...the light would have hit both faces. Your setup there looks the same as mine so you have to be careful to not block the light or create shadow..make sense?

I got the 17-55 today...and the next one up will be the 85 1.4 I still LOVE the 50 1.4 for tight shots.

Binky's! oh how I can relate...my grandchildren aren't twins but 2 mos apart and are constantly stealing binky's and sippy cups from each other...color coding may help but I believe they just want what the other has...
I look forward to more shots Terri!:smile:

Thanks for the advice, Trish. We are going to try another shot when my daughter can help me position them better. Putting the on the bed is a great idea as they can't run away as fast.....

How are you liking the 17-55? When are you getting the 85 1.4? I can't remember, have you had one before? And why did you sell the 70-200?

As far as the binkies. Amber says that they now know which one is theirs by the color. They will often pick up the binky of the other one and take it to him. They have color coded blankets and sippy cups too. They must not be color blind!!

The first one is darn close to perfect IMO. The second is typical of my experience with the 85 1.4 when shooting multiple children with wide apertures - one child in focus, and one OOF. I found that the 85 was just not cut out for shooting children on the go, and esp not for shooting multiple children on the go. I guess my suggestion regarding the 85 1.4 and the "super active ones" would be expect mostly missed shots. I did get some of the magic bokeh images, but very very few.

I sold my 85 :frown:. I really miss it, but since I shoot my children more than anything else, it didn't make sense to keep it.

I've only owned the 50 1.8 which I find much more forgiving, but I don't know if that translates to the 50 1.4. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, Fred. Seems that a lot of folks who take photos of children often are recommending the 50 over the 85. I have the 50 1.8 and just haven't used it enough. For some reason I kept my 17-55 on the camera most of the time.

Terri, I own both the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 (sorry Frede, I'm taking care of it for you and my little Sophia is loving it). I often think about selling the 50 1.4 and just using the 85, but then I can get much tighter with the 50 at times and it is quite small and light if I want a small walking around setup on late evenings or indoor events, etc. And if I break the 50 it only costs me an arm as opposed to an arm and leg of the 85 1.4. ;) Loved the shots and keep up the good work!! If I had to choose one to start with, I'd start with the 50 cause then the 85 will still seem like an improvement. Whereas if you start with the 85, I feel not many other lenses can live up to its quality.

Good point. I'm sure I will eventually have both. I am tempted by the Sigma 30 1.4, too. But am a bit leary as it is a DX lens. I'm thinking that I need to prepare myself for FX someday.

I have to say I LOVE and use my 85 much more than my 50 (although I only have the 50 1.8) I am just in love with the final images from the 85, it really is magical. BUT indoors it is restrictive. The 50 makes more sense if you're going to be shooting indoors. You're rockin' both of those lenses though Terri! You're an AMAZING photographer and you'll do well with either...(or both!)
I also recommend the 30mm.....it's between the two as far as image quality. Not quite an 85, but when I need the wider angle it handles itself really well for me.

N

Nuteshack

I have to say I LOVE and use my 85 much more than my 50 (although I only have the 50 1.8) I am just in love with the final images from the 85, it really is magical. BUT indoors it is restrictive. The 50 makes more sense if you're going to be shooting indoors. You're rockin' both of those lenses though Terri! You're an AMAZING photographer and you'll do well with either...(or both!)
I also recommend the 30mm.....it's between the two as far as image quality. Not quite an 85, but when I need the wider angle it handles itself really well for me.

the sig brings it's own "look" to the table. and might even be my sharpest lens:eek:
@1.8
2695745509_68777aa1e5_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now with that new D700, all of that is going to change :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions, Sonya. I'm taking the 85, 50, and 35 on vacation with me. It will give me lots of opportunities for practice as a LOT of my family will be there with me. Hopefully it will help me make up my mind.

Latest threads

Top Bottom