1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Twins

Discussion in 'People' started by acnomad, Jan 30, 2019.

1. As the snowflakes drifted in, I wanted to capture a nice winter portrait of my twin boys. My intent was to make the snow part of the story while still separating them from the apple tree in the background so I used a longer lens than most would usually mount for a portrait. The image misses the mark, but I don’t have the objectivity to pinpoint what I need to do differently here. Looking for help.

D01EC692-1F2F-4A39-A0C0-3190533810AB.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    Manhattan, NY
    Lewis Lorton
    IMO,
    Great looking boys but...........
    Too much space.
    Boys' faces are too bright, cold and colorless
    Face of boy with braces is washed out and shadowless (close to flash?)

upload_2019-2-12_9-7-37.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

It's a nice shot, but Lew makes a good point of the extra space. It might just be a personal preference but cropping it tighter would make it "better" to my eye as well. And he also pointed out the difference between the brightness of their faces, which is also distracting.

Otherwise, I love the idea of using the longer lens for separation from the background. It's a smart move, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Is it the upload or my eyes? The faces look really soft and it almost seems like a few of the snow flakes are pretty sharp.

5. I didn't use flash, but can work on reeling in the highlights.

I see that now. I wanted so much for the apple tree to be part of the setting that I shot it loose. Probably would have been better to reposition the boys more squarely in front of it instead.

6. My older 300 is not razor sharp wide open. Also, I didn't use a remote release or timer delay. Here's a 100% crop - tell me what you think...
    20190126_15180038_19A_8322_100% crop.JPG

7. That's better and what I'm seeing may also be that one is closer to the camera. So the snow on the hair seems sharper on the left and a few flakes (like the one circled) seem sharper while the eyes on the right seem a bit soft. For some reason those flakes just caught my eye.

20190126_15180038_19A_8322_100% crop.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.