Critique Two covered bridges near me

These two bridges are within about 10 miles of where I live. I look for suggestions to improve the photos, and your preferences on which is the best view of each..

Newport covered bridge

View #1
D75_6276-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View #2
D75_6283-XL.jpg

Sinking Creek covered bridge

View #1
D75_6289-XL.jpg

View #2
D75_6296-XL.jpg

Attachments

• D75_6296-XL.jpg
    D75_6296-XL.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 42

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Lucky you with such nice surroundings!

Of the first two, I much prefer #2. The entrance to the bridge and the flag are unobscured.

Of the last two images, the first one is the much better - and interesting - composition.

Lucky you with such nice surroundings!

Of the first two, I much prefer #2. The entrance to the bridge and the flag are unobscured.

Of the last two images, the first one is the much better - and interesting - composition.

Thanks, Karen. I agree, but I do like the stream leading in from the left on the last one.

Hi Jim - I know that scene. On the road up to Mt Lake Lodge. I don't think you can capture the entire bridge in an image. Too much distraction from trees. I think you could try more of straight on and a much tighter crop. This particular spot is cramped and its not often you find a covered bridge. Try changing perspectives from getting everything in the frame to focusing on the entrance as a straight on. Wide angle and closer to the subject.
best, John

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Newport – I prefer View #2 because it doesn't hide the open end of the bridge
Sinking Creek – I prefer View #1 for similar reason as Newport – I can better see the open end and into the inside.

Real Name
Tony Saya
Kind of like 2.1 I think someone said shot from inside or maybe up close with a wide angle. Nice scenery though

Hi Jim - I know that scene. On the road up to Mt Lake Lodge. I don't think you can capture the entire bridge in an image. Too much distraction from trees. I think you could try more of straight on and a much tighter crop. This particular spot is cramped and its not often you find a covered bridge. Try changing perspectives from getting everything in the frame to focusing on the entrance as a straight on. Wide angle and closer to the subject.
best, John

Thanks, John. Actually, the first one, that I called Newport Bridge, is on Route 601, or Clover Hollow Road. The second one that I called Sinking Creek Bridge is the one on the road to Mountain Lake Lodge, and it's pretty easy to get all of it in the photo as seen in the last two photos.
I don’t like parallel, 2.1 is my fav
Completely agreed with John and Randy. Also try some shots captured either from inside the bridge or where the foreground information is inside the bridge.
Newport – I prefer View #2 because it doesn't hide the open end of the bridge
Sinking Creek – I prefer View #1 for similar reason as Newport – I can better see the open end and into the inside.
Kind of like 2.1 I think someone said shot from inside or maybe up close with a wide angle. Nice scenery though

Thanks, folks. I agree that 2.1, as Randy called it, is the best of the lot. I've shot the first bridge several times and I may have another go from a different angle, but it's a difficult one to get a good composition of because it's sandwiched between a main road and a private driveway, and perpendicular to both.

I had never photographed the second one even though I pass it frequently as it's on private land with "No Trespassing" signs all around. As it happened yesterday, the landowner passed by just as I had pulled off the road and invited me to walk around to photograph it as much as I liked.

I have always felt that covered bridges were a national treasure, perhaps because they are so rare and in the West almost non-exisitant. Well photographed Jim.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
I like View 1 of Sinking Creek.
The obliques angle provides more interest to me.
I think perhaps a bit more color and a bit less surround makes it tighter. The tree at left is already cropped, a bit more doesn't hurt, IMO.

upload_2017-11-2_14-56-57.png

I have always felt that covered bridges were a national treasure, perhaps because they are so rare and in the West almost non-exisitant. Well photographed Jim.

Thanks, Gordon.

I like 2 and 3
I think they need a little more contrast and pop.
Good shots.

Thanks, Alex. I can see where you're coming from with your suggestion, but it was my choice to keep them somewhat muted. It's more like reality.

BTW, is this an attempt to recreate "The Bridges of Madison County"?
Is there a Merle Streep look-alike somewhere there?
The Bridges of Madison County (1995)

No, but I thought of that movie while I was setting up for the photos. As I recall, when Meryl Streep first encountered the photographer he was below a bridge by the stream with his camera and tripod, looking up at the bridge. It ran through my mind what an odd viewpoint that was, certain to lead to geometric distortion, etc.

No, but I thought of that movie while I was setting up for the photos. As I recall, when Meryl Streep first encountered the photographer he was below a bridge by the stream with his camera and tripod, looking up at the bridge. It ran through my mind what an odd viewpoint that was, certain to lead to geometric distortion, etc.

I've made a few photos of covered bridges taken from the side of the stream or in the water and I've never experienced a problem with distortion. That could occur if the bridge is really high above the water and if the camera is relatively close to the bridge, but I've photographed over 20 covered bridges and none of them were over such a large river that they needed to be that high. I did photograph one that is high over a deep canyon with a river running through it, but only that one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom