Two days in the Eastern Sierra (30 jpgs)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PB_James, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Last week, I left on a little trip down the backside of the Sierra, with the intent of hiking the Mount Whitney Trail. First, though, I had to stop oer at a number of great little areas along the way to check out the coming of fall.

Having never been to the Whitney Region of the Sierra, I quickly found myself overwhelmed by the incredible natural beauty of the area, and the day became more about photography than hiking. I can certainly now see why it is such a popular trail, even discounting the appeal of the summit. Furthermore, I can also see why folks often take two days or more on their journey to this region, as there is so much beauty to soak up. I don't believe that any picture can really simulate such an experience, but hopefully these should give you a taste.

Day 1, From Yosemite to Whitney Portal

Morning in Tuloumne Meadows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming down Tioga Road:

[​IMG]

Vacation cottage at June Lake:

[​IMG]

Convict Lake and Laurel Mountain:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aspen signal the end of summer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lone Pine Peak towers:

[​IMG]

And Mount Whitney beams:

[​IMG]

Waterfalls at Whitney Portal, despite the drought:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nightfall approaches this Sierra outpost:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2, Morning on the Mount Whitney Trail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Great scenery Peter...I like the one with the day 2 early morning shot:wink:

3. cr2596

cr2596

Aug 20, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like the second to last shot a lot.

4. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    What a great trip, wouldn't you love to spend a week just shooting there? Great shots, I really enjoyed them.

5. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Thank you for posting these. Your comp was perfect to the point I felt like I was there.

Thanks again.

6. Thanks for the comments. I know a couple aren't as sharp as I'd have liked, but still nice anyway. I need to get a good tripod already, though that would turn such a trip into even more of a photo trip and less of a hiking trip.

Also, I just got a new monitor (NEC 20WMGX2), and am using calibrated settings and an ICC profile from another user. So I'm not 100% sure of what has come out here, if you notice anything that seems off, especially color-wise, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Any other comments/critiques are welcome as well. I included a few of the shots more for story-telling purposes than outright beauty.

7. Great images! My fave is the Mt Whitney with the beams!!! That is soo cool looking!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.