Two days in the Eastern Sierra (30 jpgs)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by PB_James, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Last week, I left on a little trip down the backside of the Sierra, with the intent of hiking the Mount Whitney Trail. First, though, I had to stop oer at a number of great little areas along the way to check out the coming of fall.

Having never been to the Whitney Region of the Sierra, I quickly found myself overwhelmed by the incredible natural beauty of the area, and the day became more about photography than hiking. I can certainly now see why it is such a popular trail, even discounting the appeal of the summit. Furthermore, I can also see why folks often take two days or more on their journey to this region, as there is so much beauty to soak up. I don't believe that any picture can really simulate such an experience, but hopefully these should give you a taste.

Day 1, From Yosemite to Whitney Portal

Morning in Tuloumne Meadows:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming down Tioga Road:

[​IMG]

Vacation cottage at June Lake:

[​IMG]

Convict Lake and Laurel Mountain:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aspen signal the end of summer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lone Pine Peak towers:

[​IMG]

And Mount Whitney beams:

[​IMG]

Waterfalls at Whitney Portal, despite the drought:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nightfall approaches this Sierra outpost:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2, Morning on the Mount Whitney Trail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  2. Great scenery Peter...I like the one with the day 2 early morning shot:wink:

3. cr2596

cr2596

Aug 20, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like the second to last shot a lot.

4. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    What a great trip, wouldn't you love to spend a week just shooting there? Great shots, I really enjoyed them.

5. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

Thank you for posting these. Your comp was perfect to the point I felt like I was there.

Thanks again.

6. Thanks for the comments. I know a couple aren't as sharp as I'd have liked, but still nice anyway. I need to get a good tripod already, though that would turn such a trip into even more of a photo trip and less of a hiking trip.

Also, I just got a new monitor (NEC 20WMGX2), and am using calibrated settings and an ICC profile from another user. So I'm not 100% sure of what has come out here, if you notice anything that seems off, especially color-wise, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

Any other comments/critiques are welcome as well. I included a few of the shots more for story-telling purposes than outright beauty.

7. Great images! My fave is the Mt Whitney with the beams!!! That is soo cool looking!!!