1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Two days out in the desert... (lots of photos)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by manzico, Sep 3, 2008.

1. I finally got some time to take photos and I wanted to do some landscape shooting. I wasn't sure whether I should go west (out into the Saguaro National Forest) or east (up Mt. Lemmon). I decided I'd trek up Mt. Lemmon to see what I could get with the dramatic monsoon skies we've been having. You can get really dramatic shots... so long as the monsoons stay off the mountain proper. Well the storms didn't cooperate with me and I was chased off the mountain with heavy rain, lightning, thunder, road-crossing waterfalls, hail, and falling rocks. So I didn't get much until I dropped down into the foothills, and even then the storm was on my heals. Here's just about all I got on day number one:

#1:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    12mm    f/16.0    1/0s    ISO 100

On day number two, with the skies looking much like they did on day number one I decided to hit the desert by going west. It was a much more productive day. I got to shoot from well before sundown (in IR) to a bit after (not in IR). Here's what I've processed:

#2: This is a bit of a more abstract shot to give a feel for the desert heat (although it really wasn't all that hot... only in the 90's)
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    18mm    f/8.0    1/80s   

#3:
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    60mm    f/8.0    1/90s   

#4:
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    18mm    f/8.0    1/90s   

#5:
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    18mm    f/8.0    1/250s   

#6:
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    200mm    f/8.0    1/125s   

#7: I hope you don't think this one is too dark... I wanted it to feel like night time.
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    95mm    f/4.5    30s    ISO 100

#8:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    70mm    f/4.5    1/0s    ISO 100

#9:
    original.
    NIKON D100    ---    90mm    f/8.0    1/60s   

#10:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/1600s    ISO 100

I also finally caught up with a distant monsoon and got to take some decent lightning shots... unfortunately the lightning is ever so slightly out of focus... it was hard to focus in the dark :) 

#11:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    170mm    f/5.6    5s    ISO 100

#12:
    original.
    NIKON D200    ---    170mm    f/5.6    5s    ISO 100

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Excellent. I really missed seeing your work at the cafe.

3. A lot of really nice captures here. 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 are my faves.

4. 6, 11, &12 are my personal favorites. All of them are nicely captured. Although I don't like the haevy flare in 2 it does fit the shot rather well and I feel really completes the shot. Thanks for sharing these with us Dave.

God Bless,
    David

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great shots! I especially like 4, 9 and of course 11 and 12!

Since you asked for some comments:

1 - my eyes seem to return to the brighter left side - yet the color and lightning on the right are interesting...just small.

6 - sky and mountain are about equally weighted. Not sure which you really wanted to highlight.

Over all - very nice!

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Fantastic... I love them.

7. Excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more of your pictures in this forum.

Gert-Jan

8. I think #1 is your best shot by far. It is super. The other lightning shots are also very nice.

P.S. Southwesterners very commonly use the term monsoon incorrectly. We all know that you mean the late summer period of nearly daily thunderstorms, but for the record here is the definition from Dictionary.com:

9 results for: monsoon –noun
    1. the seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and southern Asia, blowing from the southwest in summer and from the northeast in winter.
    2. (in India and nearby lands) the season during which the southwest monsoon blows, commonly marked by heavy rains; rainy season.
    3. any wind that changes directions with the seasons.
    4. any persistent wind established between water and adjoining land.

9. To all,

Thanks for the comments. Looks like the lightning (as it often is) is the universal favorite. I should be back up to my regular posting schedule shortly. Grad school (classes) are done and all I have left is my comprehensive exam in October.

I agree on both counts. In #1 I knew the brightness would pull, but I hoped the sweep of the clouds at top would redirect the eye. In #6 I was going for an even weighting. I figured with an even weighting The image looks more abstract, but then you can see the detail with the cactai. Thanks for the CCs.

Dave

10. dave
    this an excellent series
    very well done
    i greatly enjoyed them

11. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Superb images. The area around Tucson is so beautiful and you've done it justice. Thanks for sharing.

12. I am just now seeing your shots...
    I really enjoyed these!
    Glad you posted...

13. Wonderful series.

Good luck with the comp exam.

Les

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.