Critique Two Drop Art Sessions

I conducted two drop art photo sessions today using three drops from one bottle. It had been five months since I had used that configuration and that was the only time I had used it.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-11-30--0126-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-11-30--0111PS.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-11-30--0270-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-11-30--0277-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2020-11-30--0272-S.jpg

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Not sure why, but one and two are my favorites of this type of work seen recently by you. Maybe it is the color palette of these images? the shape? who knows, but I like them!

one and two are my favorites of this type of work seen recently by you.

Thanks, Wade! The first one is one of my favorites of all the drop art photos I've made so far. That's because of three characteristics -- the classic mushroom shape, the drop sitting on top of it, and the fall-off of drops to the right into the basin -- that combine to make a rather unique formation.

Wow! I'm greedy, I love 'em all—colors, forms, exposure are all incredible.
Though I must admit to being confused, " . . two drop art photo sessions today using three drops from one bottle. . ." the math didn't quite add up. :D

Thank you also to West and Nick!

" . . two drop art photo sessions today using three drops from one bottle. . ." the math didn't quite add up.

One session in the morning. Another session in the afternoon. Both sessions using a configuration that each time the shutter is released, one bottle dispenses three drops into the margarita glass.

Do ya feel better now? If not, take two glasses of wine. Pills won't be needed.

Thank you also to West and Nick!

One session in the morning. Another session in the afternoon. Both sessions using a configuration that each time the shutter is released, one bottle dispenses three drops into the margarita glass.

Do ya feel better now? If not, take two glasses of wine. Pills won't be needed.
I'll do 3 for good measure!

Have you played around with some extra empty space just to change the visual, as in doubling or even tripling the empty space on the right or left of the image.

Have you played around with some extra empty space just to change the visual, as in doubling or even tripling the empty space on the right or left of the image.

No, that's one of many variations on the theme I haven't yet tried. That style of composition would especially be interesting when only the collision is included in the frame, as opposed to including the entire column and the basin from which it rises.

True that. I'm sure you will get lots leaning to the right a bit which would benefit with that wider frame composition.

Not sure if leaning would work, as the bottom liquid base needs to be horizontal. Although you could just crop all the bottom out and get into a free floating type art ... it's infinite

Just curios, what if you took #5 ... cropped it at the base of the liquid stem, and then rotated it horizontally. I'm not even drinking :D

Speaking of leaving extra negative space, your favorite works well that way, which is how it was captured (before I cropped it).

Mike 2020-11-30--0272B-S.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Excellent, Mike! I, too, prefer the red colors even though all the formations are very nice and interesting. Green might be nice.

With Mike's blessing, here's another take, just for variety. A quick & dirty effort, may look interesting on metal (or not).
* if your not sure open a bottle of wine ... still on the fence ... open another one :D

Mike's Demo 1 (1).jpg
Mike's Demo 1 (2).jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom